Chapter 64

c.2949 TA

"Please! I've been wanting to go for forever." The young Aragorn said. Now eighteen and approaching the age when Elrond planned to tell him who he really was, Elrond was even less sure of sending Aragorn anywhere. Lately, however, the young lad had been restless for a change of scenery and the promise of long ago that he would be able to see the Prince once more weighed on him. It was not for lack of begging on his part either. Elrond, however, was unsure of what the young man's reception would be in Mirkwood. Legolas knew who had raised him, and probably more importantly, who his brothers were. Old grudges never really went away in Mirkwood, and Elrond feared for the well-being of the exiled King of Gondor. Not that Aragorn actually knew any of this, and the man actually still went by Estel.

Not only that, but as lately displayed, Mirkwood was a place full of distrustful Elves and any Man sent there, raised by Elves or not, would be distrusted anyway.

Such was Elrond's thought as he considered appeasing Aragorn and sending him to Mirkwood. Finally he sighed. "First, before I say yea or nay, I must actually see if it is safe for you to go there. If it is, I will send you to Thranduil's halls and you can be trained by the Wood-Elves."

"But I wanted to go to become a leaf!" Aragorn said teasingly.

"I am sure you can ask the Wood-Elves to turn you into a leaf should you go. I will inform you of when you may leave." Aragorn sighed.

"As you wish, Ada." Elrond shook his head as he prepared a letter for the royal family. That child…

*

Elrond,

Of course I would allow the man here. Legolas has told me about him and all their promises already, you need not worry. Almiel has already said she will keep him away from the more distrustful Elves I know roam my woods. Legolas will await your son at the border if that suits you. I will assume he will head out close to receiving this letter. Do not fear, Legolas will tutor Estel while he is here. Your son will be an archer before he leaves if he spends too much time with Legolas though. I hope you are well.

Thranduil, King of Mirkwood.

Elrond sighed, half worried that Thranduil had said he could come. The days were growing darker, but then again, Mirkwood was probably now lighter than it had been with Sauron driven from Dol Guldur. He called Estel to his study.

"You sent for me, Ada?" Estel asked.

"Yes, it is agreed, you will head for Mirkwood as soon as you are able." Estel looked quite overjoyed. "Once you reach the border, Prince Leaf as you call him will meet you there and take you to the Palace." Elrond hesitated. "I think I shall send Glorfindel with you to escort you to the border." Estel frowned.

"Are my brothers not coming?"

"No," Elrond said sighing, "there is something you must understand about this situation." He took a breath before continuing to make sure he would not spill any secrets out of his mouth. "The Prince has a younger sister by the name of Almiel. Back when my wife sailed, there was a rather large misunderstanding between the royal family and the twins, and to this day Elrohir is scorned by Mirkwood for being responsible for almost killing the Princess."

"Did he?" Estel asked, his eyes now wide.

Elrond did not answer for a minute. "Yes and no. What he did, he is still ignorant of, but the King will not acknowledge that. Had it been the other way around, I don't think I would either. As it stands, both Elladan and Elrohir are not allowed within Mirkwood's borders or anywhere near the Princess. In either case, Thranduil bears no ill will toward anyone but them in this situation so you shall be fine. However, it also means I cannot send them with you. Do you understand?" Estel nodded. "Perhaps this will be more training in politics for you. It would also do you well to bear in mind that fact and mention your brothers as little as possible. Thranduil is passionate for an Elf, in both love and hate, and the Wood-Elves are somewhat dangerous but only if you bring evil with you. You do not, and so you should be fine."