Chapter 90

Chapter 90

February 17 3019 TA

It was the day after the Fellowship left. Almiel seemed distracted. "What is it?" Haldir asked.

"Something approaches." She said. "Come," she said. Haldir followed her to the Lord and Lady's talan. The Lady seemed distracted as she was. Lord Celeborn glanced at them.

"You must feel it too." He said. Haldir looked at Almiel.

"He is coming." Almiel said. Suddenly an Eagle swept down. Gwaihir landed on the talan and Almiel and Galadriel both rushed forward. A weak, and newly born Mithrandir lay on top of the Windlord, and Almiel almost immediately tried to help before Haldir caught her hand.

"Slow down." He murmured. Galadriel looked at the Princess who was now frowning, before she turned back to Gandalf.

"He is right. Come my Lord, help me carry him to the healing rooms." Celeborn moved and helped Galadriel move him. Haldir still held Almiel back, though she now fought against him.

"You know, I have drugged you before, I am not against doing it again." Haldir said. Almiel stiffened.

That's Mithrandir for crying out loud.

Indeed, and I am pretty sure your father still has not forgiven him. Almiel let out a long breath.

Fine let me go. She said. Haldir released her and she glared at him once before following the Lord and Lady. Haldir chuckled slightly.

You will thank me later. He said.

No, was her answer.

*

"Slowly, Almiel, he does not need to be healed in one hour." Galadriel said. Almiel glanced at her before placing her hand on Gandalf's chest. Haldir stood next to her even though she shot him another glare. Haldir had only raised an eyebrow before opening their bond.

Peace child, we know you are capable of more. I am here for your protection, as your father commanded me. Almiel only sighed.

I know. She said. Then she opened herself and Haldir felt her golden pulse move slightly faster. He watched carefully but she was in no danger. After a few hours, Almiel withdrew her hand and Mithrandir's eyes flickered open.

"Where are they?" He asked. "Are they safe?" Galadriel moved forward.

"They left only yesterday." She said. "They are currently floating or paddling down the river."

"Ah," he said. "I missed them."

"Yes, but you still need healing anyway. Once you are ready Gwaihir has agreed to take you where you need to go." Almiel said.

"So you are here." Mithrandir said. "We did not know."

"I am here." Almiel said. "For now." She added. Then she cocked her head. "Rest, you have had a hard adventure, to the grave and back. You will heal here, and then you shall do what you were meant to."

Gandalf sighed and his eyes closed. You are safe. He heard Galadriel tell him.

Then he fell into a great sleep.

*

"Now you should take your own advice." Haldir told Almiel. Almiel rolled her eyes and placed the cloth on a wounded ellon's forehead, wiping away his sweat. She placed the cloth in a basin and then sat down. She glanced at Gandalf, who was in counsel with Galadriel at the moment.

"He will be ready to leave in two days." She said. Haldir remained silent. "He has said he will go all the way to Fanghorn."

"That is some journey, even on the back of an Eagle." He said. Almiel stayed quiet and did not move for some time. Haldir inwardly sighed. Unfortunately I know the look on your face.

*

"Tell my brother not to worry once more." Almiel said. "I am sure he still is."

"I think he has cause." Gandalf said. "Can I tell him he has no cause?" he asked.

Almiel glanced away. "Probably not." She said. Then she looked in his eyes. Do not tell him this, but I will be following you soon. Perhaps not as far or as fast, but I will. She said. Gandalf looked at her sadly.

And there is nothing I can do to dissuade you?

If my father could not, no one can. She answered. Gandalf sighed.

"I will tell your brother that I left you safe anyway." Gandalf looked at the Lady.

Would you allow your Marchwarden leave when she goes? The Lady stared at him.

We shall see how events unfold. She simply answered. Mithrandir inclined his head.

"Thank you, milady, I will be sure to give the Hunters your words, as well as yours, Princess." He then mounted Gwaihir who looked at the Princess.

"Remember child, we still hold to the promise we once gave you and your kin." He said. She inclined her head.

"I will, Windlord." She said, pressing her hand to her heart.

"Why is it you call me a burden," Gandalf said, "and you give her repeated promises?" Gwaihir looked at Gandalf as best he could. The Eagle's eyes were amused.

"She is an Elf, and her father once saved one of my kin." Without further ado, Gwaihir jumped into the air, slightly startling the Wizard on his back and left all of them watching him.

*

That night, Almiel stood staring at the stars on her flet. "You leave tomorrow." A voice behind her said. She turned, surprise in her eyes. "You really think you can hide anything like that from me?" Haldir asked. He walked closer to her so that he stood in front of her.

"No, you just surprised me. I did not expect you here." She said. He glanced at her, discovering she was shivering slightly, but not from the cold.

He reached out and touched her shoulder. She shut her eyes as she felt the warmth spread from his hand. "Rest." He said. "You will need it." She opened her eyes and stared into his. He stepped even closer, they were almost touching.

"Haldir." She whispered.

He stared at her before wrapping his arms around her. "Peace," he said, "I know you still do not think the time is right and I will not go against your will." He whispered into her ear. She sighed and leaned into him. "But you leave tomorrow, and you need your strength. Let me give you what I can tonight, for I will not see you again until My Lady gives me leave." She did not answer, but he felt the affirmative through their bond.

He closed his eyes. Sleep. He told her.

I am frightened. She said.

Sleep. He repeated. He felt her breaths start to even as he opened whatever energy he had to give to her. He felt it flow from him to her and soon enough she was asleep. He picked her up and settled comfortably against the trunk of the tree laying Almiel's head in his lap. Her eyes had settled, now barely open due to his prodding.

As he sat there he let the energy flow from him to her as if it had no bound. He could rest on the morrow, while who knew what she would be doing. His fingers stroked her head, wishing that this could be more than what it was. Who knew I would get past Thranduil and not past the one I love? He thought. It was an oxymoron that had no answer. The more confusing part was that he could feel that she loved him back.

I am fated. Haldir thought sighing. No more than she is though. Perhaps it is only so because it is her I fell in love with.

He looked down at her, in sleep she was now peaceful. This is how it should be. He thought. We should not have to worry about such darkness separating us. Or keeping us from being together. He stroked her forehead.

One day, it will be like this every night. He thought. Even if I have to follow her to Valinor.

He moved so that he was now lying next to her, cradling her body against his chest, still giving her as much energy as he could. Then he kissed her forehead, before falling asleep himself.

I cannot lose her. His mind cried out to the Valar, but though energy still flowed between them, his body was asleep.