Chapter 71

March 3018 TA

Mithrandir came two days later. "I hear you have a prisoner for me." He said to Thranduil.

"Indeed." Thranduil said and stood. "He is not in the best mood." He added.

"I know. I do not think he has been for a long while. The creature is pitiful."

"Yes… but part of me feels sorry for him." Thranduil said softer. "He may have done something horrible, but no creature deserves the torture he has gone through. The same has turned my ancient kin into the Orcs we fight now."

Gandalf glanced at him. "The creature still has an evil mind."

"Not completely. Not yet." Thranduil said mysteriously. "In here." He said stopping at a door with three guards in front of it.

Gandalf took a deep breath. "Well, I am sure I will come out of this annoyed."

"Mithrandir…" Almiel said slowly as she walked up the hallway.

"Yes?"

"Be gentle as you can. He was not treated well before."

"Of course he was not. I will try but I must get answers from him."

Almiel's eyes were wary. "I could-."

"No, I must do this."

"I could get them without any of the torture." Almiel said stubbornly. Thranduil was watching somewhat passively.

"I alone have the information needed to sift through the creature's words."

"And I alone have the ability to see past them. Let me try first, before you destroy him."

"I would not do such a thing."

"He has been through enough torture already."

"You and your father both! I feel pity for him too, so did Bilbo. However, I must get these answers from the creature now before it is too late."

Thranduil's eyes narrowed at that. "Before it is too late? Perhaps you should speak with me more candidly."

"You have feared what is about to happen for a very long time. The creature has information that may be very crucial."

Almiel suddenly was very quiet. Thranduil noticed and knew somehow that she knew something more. Or at least she now had it confirmed. "Well then, I would rather my daughter try. She has great success in confronting people."

Gandalf set his jaw. "Fine she shall enter with me."

"No, the creature knows you already as a companion of Bilbo. I go in alone. Tell me what you need to know."

Gandalf stared at her. "I cannot let you do this. He is very violent."

"It's not like I live in Mirkwood or anything." Almiel said rolling her eyes. "I have never had to deal with anything violent once."

Gandalf looked at Thranduil hoping he would be against this as he usually was. But this time he seemed to be allowing it.

"She could do it." Thranduil said simply.

"Fine, we shall try it your way. Find out everything you can. I will be out here to guide you."

Almiel nodded and the door was opened and she walked in. Gollum looked up at her with fear and hatred but she merely sat down on the bed that was supposed to be for him. "You do not like the bed?"

"The bedsss, precious?"

"Mmm, perhaps it is a little too soft. Are you hungry?"

"We's are being starved yes we are. Isn't that right precious?"