Chapter 88

January 3019 TA

The next morning Legolas was about to leave to go among his people, including his sister and brother. He paused as he was about to go and looked back. "Gimli," he called. Gimli looked at him and he hesitated. Then he continued, "Join me." He said. Gimli looked surprised, but then to everyone else' surprise, he got up and seemingly eagerly joined the Prince.

"I would be honored."

Legolas smiled. "Then come." He said. They joined with Haldir and Almiel, who said nothing about Gimli being with Legolas, and together they showed Gimli the many wonders of Lórien. They did this day after day, and after the first night Legolas no longer joined the Fellowship but stayed with Almiel. Gimli would join them in the morning most days and they met up with many other Elves as they walked, all of them eager to greet the Prince once again, or to greet him for the first time if they had not met him before.

"Well, well, look who made it to Lórien." Someone said. The four of them turned, and Legolas and Almiel recognized him as Hirveren, son of Lord Bundraeg. They both had been favorable at least to the son, he had only wanted Almiel's friendship.

Haldir looked at him, confused. "How would you know the Princess and Prince of Mirkwood?"

"My father had to drag me to Mirkwood almost sixty years back or so. He insisted on a meeting with her father, which... for him ended badly. For the rest of us, maybe not so."

"That whole month was quite chaotic at that time." Almiel said smiling. Haldir glanced at her. That was right before...

Exactly, Almiel answered him. Haldir raised an eyebrow. He was the one whose father tried to get my father to marry me off to him. He did not want to marry me, he was forced along as well.

Where is his father? Haldir asked. This time Almiel raised an eyebrow.

I do not know, but I think he was punished enough, he does not need you beating him up.

Haldir looked put off, but meanwhile Legolas and Gimli had been speaking to the son. "What happened that you are actually in the company of Gimli now?" The son asked. "Those Dwarves caused quite a scare when I was there."

Legolas looked at Gimli. "We have been traveling together for a while. The circumstances have changed much. Though I think that particular event might have been avoided if not for your father."

Hirveren sighed. "I cannot say how many times I have had to apologize for him. What of yours? Has he actually approved any suitors- for your sister, not you? I know he was eager to get rid of you before." Haldir laughed.

"Legolas is a tough one to crack, and truth be told, her father is probably easier- he actually fell in love once." Legolas scowled at him while Gimli laughed.

"For your information-!"

"You once got turned down for a peasant, we know, your father has never let that go." Haldir said laughing once more.

Almiel rolled her eyes. "It is true enough. If only you had had a sister..." This time Hirveren laughed.

"Well, I shall not keep you, but I hope to see you again sometime." He said cheerfully and walked away. Haldir still seemed wary of the man from what Almiel could tell, but she simply laughed.

He is married now, Haldir, you have nothing to worry about. Haldir looked at her surprised and then looked away.

You could have told me as much.

"And what did you mean by our father is easier?" Legolas asked, rounding on him. "No one has gotten past our father yet!" Almiel and Haldir glanced at each other, and Gimli raised an eyebrow at the situation.