Chapter 38

c. 2810

"What did you need to speak with me about?" Thranduil asked Gandalf when he got to his study.

"I wish to go investigate the area around Dol Gulder, and possibly Dol Gulder itself."

Thranduil frowned. "You said as much before, what mystery is this?"

Gandalf's eyes twinkled, but rather mysteriously. "I do not wish to go alone." Thranduil laughed slightly.

"Why, Mithrandir, what concern of this is mine? You have the entire White Council to go with you. Why are you speaking with me, unless you need a messenger? Shall I send word to Radagast perhaps? Or Saruman, Galadriel, or Elro…" Thranduil cut off as Gandalf had only raised his eyebrows and Thranduil's mouth moved without speaking for a minute.

"No, you cannot," he finally managed, "no! I will not send my daughter with you to die! Not if the source is who we think it is! I sent my daughter to Imladris just to avoid being in the same forest as he before. No way will she go with you!"

Gandalf sighed. "Your daughter is capable of this, of that I am certain."

Thranduil looked across his desk at the wizard. "You are asking me to give up the Princess of Mirkwood for an investigation that could not only kill her, but injure the rest of Mirkwood as well."

"And you are being selfish." Gandalf said simply. "Your daughter has a gift that she could use to a higher potential out there with me. I will protect your daughter at all costs."

"Mithrandir! I have long admired you and your kin, but will you not recognize the word no when you hear it? I am not letting you take my daughter anywhere near Dol Gulder!"

"I am not asking for your permission." Gandalf said. Thranduil stared at him. "I am asking you to let her make her own choice." Thranduil let his mask slip as shock filled his face. "Long have you told her where to go and whom to help. Let her now decide for herself whether or not to make this errand, fool's though it may be." Thranduil stood and turned his back on Gandalf for a minute in shocked silence.

"You are asking me of the one thing I cannot lose. Legolas and Almiel are all I have left. Almiel has almost been taken from me more times than I care to remember. I cannot lose her now."

"If I remember, the second time you sent her to Imladris was one of those times. What you were trying to avoid happened anyway." Thranduil sat and put his face in his hands.

"Mithrandir," he finally spoke, his voice a whisper, "I know I cannot shelter her for it has been deemed impossible even in my own home, but I still try to protect her as best I can. I cannot in good conscience allow her to go somewhere I know is filled with fear and pain."

"Yet was it not Legolas who told me the prophecy concerning your daughter? You seemed willing to admit she may die when she was first born. Then again, you may die, and Legolas may die, and I may die." He leaned towards the Elvenking and continued gently. "We all may die. If all of us had a prophecy at the beginning of our lives, than we would all be told we may die, mortals would be told they would die. So I ask again, will you let Almiel choose her fate this once for herself?" Thranduil stared at the fire that blazed in the room, seeking answers in its depths. The fire reflected in his deep blue eyes making him appear ever more regal.

Do not fear bringing this child to life. Her fate is hers alone to decide. Thranduil remembered the words once spoken to him in a now distant memory while telling his son he would soon be a brother. Alone to decide. Thranduil clenched his hand. I cannot lose her. He thought once more. Who am I to keep her from her fate? What do I count? I am her father and king, but the words said she alone has to decide… If Mithrandir truly thinks she might help… What then? He struggled internally with these questions for a long while. So long Gandalf even thought he might have fallen into a trance, but then the Elvenking looked at him with saddened eyes.

"As you say, her fate is hers alone to decide. We will ask her together in here tomorrow morning." Thranduil stood. "If you excuse me, however, I shall retire." With that, Thranduil strode from the room leaving a slightly stunned wizard behind.

"In all my life…" Gandalf said to himself, "I never expected that to work."

*

Almiel came to her father's study the next morning wondering what was going on. Her father felt slightly more fearful than usual, though what of she was unsure at the moment. She came in the door and nodded at Gandalf and then sat down. She glanced curiously at her father who returned her gaze for a second before motioning to Gandalf.

Gandalf leaned toward her. "As you know, I am going to investigate Dol Gulder. I believe that your particular gifts will be useful and am wondering whether you would accompany me? It is completely up to you." Almiel looked at her father once more who this time avoided her gaze. She knew he probably did not want her to go.

Then she considered the request. Go to Dol Gulder… she thought. Gandalf spoke again. "I will warn you, for your father's sake." At this the Elvenking glanced at Gandalf, one brow raised. "Oh, Sire, you really do not have to pretend for the young Princess, I'm sure she knows your frightened worse than a bunny cornered by wargs." Thranduil's eyes flashed slightly at the indication but said nothing. "Anyway, this is Dol Gulder we are talking about, it will get more and more like that one poisoned grove of trees. It will get worse as we go further south as well. If we arrive there, and this Necromancer is not some ordinary magician and actually the Dark Lord like the Elves suspected… you may not be able to use any of your power, and its possible though I think it unlikely, you may get sick… again."

It was Almiel's turn to raise her eyebrow. "You do not have to make it sound pretty for my sake Mithrandir. I know very well what awaits me should I go. However, I also do know that Legolas was right the other day. My power has been increasing of late. I will not die, and I doubt I'll get sick should I go."

"This might be Sauron we are speaking of, you almost died simply from another Elf touching you." Thranduil said.

"Yes, that was around three hundred years ago as well."

"Haldir will not be there." Thranduil stubbornly pushed on. Almiel smiled.

"I am aware. I am, however, not planning on touching or getting very close to Sauron, should it prove to be him, to release that much energy. I have control over my power now, it does not just siphon off anymore unless I will it to be so. I would not even have to give this magician my energy if he touched me now. And I am not so prideful that I would allow any power of mine to try to heal Dol Gulder. No, if I went I would not let myself to be completely open with energy trying to heal powers of darkness." Thranduil lowered his eyes.

You cannot die on me now. He said to her.

I promise I will come back. She told him.

(sigh) Then I cannot stop you. Go if you feel you must.

I am impressed.

(grunt) Do not get that used to it. Mithrandir convinced me.

Hmmmm… I was under the impression I did.

I would never let you think that.

Of course not. Almiel turned to Gandalf. "Alright, you got me. When do we leave?"

"Tomorrow," Gandalf replied. Well, well, well, that was easy.