Chapter 102

March 14 3019 TA

Thranduil felt the Enemy approaching. The trees were silent. All was darkening. He closed his eyes once in silent prayer that all was not lost before he stood. "Ortherion."

Ortherion turned slowly to face him. "It is time?"

Thranduil nodded once. Ortherion stared at him for a long minute before he too bowed his head slightly. "Valar save us." He breathed out.

Thranduil walked toward him silently and put his hands on Ortherion's shoulders. Ortherion glanced up. "We have been through many dangers together." Thranduil said softly. "This is just one more."

Ortherion stared into his eyes, noticing the fire that still spread in his friend's eyes. "I have been at your side since we ran across the rooftops together. If this is the end, then we will end it how we began."

"Crawling through the hallways?" Thranduil asked, eyes glittering once.

"Perhaps," Ortherion said laughing slightly. "I was going to say determined and on top of the world."

Thranduil smiled. "We were quite determined." His eyes grew harder. "And we will stay that way today. We will not let them take anything while we yet live. Our lives are not to be thrown away. Not after everything we have been through. No, we will survive. And if we do not it will only be because there are none of us left. We defeated Sauron before, and we will again."

Ortherion grinned. "Nothing ever dampens your stubbornness does it?"

"Nay, only strengthens it." Thranduil said. "Come, let's vanquish those we can."

*

March 15 3019 TA

They took the entire army, eight thousand in all, to the pre-decided meeting point, well away from the Palace. Thranduil rode his black stallion, Mornenion, at the front, the archers and half the Guard followed through the trees while the rest of his army was behind him.

Ortherion rode at his side, and as they reached the waiting point and Thranduil reigned Mornenion in, Ortherion looked at him and nodded. Thranduil's face was set in determination and as he turned his army saw the glint of readiness in his eyes.

"They are coming, and they will do their best to claim this forest for their own. But this forest has been ours for two ages of men, and we set our claim here first. We know this land better than we know ourselves. This is not Mirkwood." Thranduil paused. "No, Mirkwood belongs to the Enemy. This is Eryn Galen. This is Greenwood the Great. And so it shall be again if we make it so. This is our home, and we will not let them take it."

The Elves eyes all hardened, more determined than ever. Thranduil glanced over them a few times before he again turned around. His mind strayed to his children, somewhere in the wilderness of Middle-Earth. If nothing else, he would fight for them to have a home to return to even if he was only deluding himself that they would.

*

Darkness fell, and even with being able to hear the army approaching, the Elves could also smell the filth of the Orcs and foul creatures coming toward them. Their horses were all restless, but the touch of their masters' hands settled them down once more. Then for a second, only a second, all was quiet.

Then a lone creature approached from out of the darkness.

"Is this all Mirkwood has to offer?" It hissed. Thranduil remained silent. The creature waited for a minute before he spoke. "You are to be given mercy. You have one small chance to surrender. Those that do not surrender will die."

"So you do recognize the obvious? That all of you who do not surrender will die. Actually, I do not think I gave you an option. Should not I be giving you and thy master terms of surrender?" Thranduil said.