Chapter 116

April 3019 TA

Haldir wrapped one arm around her as Almiel sat down beside him. "What did he say?" Haldir asked softly.

"I think he mostly wanted to tell me that he is leaving." Haldir's eyes looked surprised as he looked at her.

"Leaving?"

"Yes, the dawn after tomorrow."

"But why? You just came back." Haldir said.

"That's why, I think. He said that he cannot stay when I am fine as the rest of Eryn Lasgalen is mourning."

Haldir was quiet for a minute. "It will be odd not having him near. He has been here for a while."

Almiel nodded slightly. "Well, we will see him soon enough. It's only a couple months."

Haldir glanced at her. "When are you planning on leaving?"

"He said he had been talking to Mithrandir and Estel. It seems at some time Lórien and Imladris will be coming to Gondor and when they return so will we. The mourning time will be over then." Almiel said. "But that is the future, which is not our worry."

Haldir kissed her cheek. "Indeed," he said. They were both quiet for a moment. Then Haldir spoke again. "Walk with me?" He asked. Almiel smiled and nodded. They walked into the woods, at first quietly listening to the sounds of the trees around them. The trees were reveling at being free of the shadow that had lingered so near, and now feeling the presence of two Wood-Elves, they rejoiced even greater.

They both smiled at the trees gaiety. Eventually they found a small stream and stood, watching the water flow over smooth rocks, babbling in conversation with the tree's murmurs. Haldir pulled her closer, leaning against a tree as he did so.

"What are you thinking?" Almiel asked.

"Why here?" Haldir asked. "You made it sound as if we could have gone to Valinor instead."

"We could have. It was my decision, kind of." Almiel said.

"What do you mean?"

"I did see something else in the Mirror just as Galadriel thought. Many things. There were two different paths. In one we both died, in the other only I did. If we would have married before, or, as you so kindly pointed out, told each other how we felt, we would have both died. There would have been no choice, we would have been sent to Valinor. In the other we waited, as we actually have, and there was again multiple choices, you could have died in Helm's Deep and thus could never have awoken me. But the end that happened came, and since it was your choice to speak the words first, I was given the choice of where to spend our days." He held her tighter.

"You could have told me."

"No, you had to trust me." Almiel said smiling gently, turning to face him. "If you were meant to know then everyone who was watching would have seen it in the Mirror as well."

"I suppose I cannot be angry with anyone." Haldir said, kissing her once. "Everything worked out."

"Yes," Almiel said, "And I have been promised I will never come to death's doorstep because of my gift again. You no longer have to worry."

Haldir smiled. "That's one thing I have no need to worry about then." He said. "No more death lingering in front of me, at least in that form." He pushed a piece of hair away from her face. "But, as you said, the future is not our concern."

"Not tonight," Almiel agreed. They kissed again, this time more passionate. Both of them had thought there was no way their bond could be deeper. They were wrong.