Chapter 19

c.2065 TA

As per his Lady's instructions, Haldir was now following his brothers through the woods on his patrol. Everything was normal, and they were actually on their way home, when he felt searing pain and then a great struggle. He started breathing hard and then everything went dark.

He awoke to his brothers standing over him. He blinked at the light and then sat up. "How long?" He asked.

"Not very, less than a minute." Orophin answered. Haldir nodded. "What happened?" Haldir only shook his head. His brothers exchanged a worried glance. This was not normal nor was the way he had been acting the past two weeks. He had been silent almost the entire patrol, and when they looked at him, they saw a shadow in his eyes. Their bond with him was strangely quiet as well, and he seemed to be blocking them from something, though both Rumil and Orophin were not convinced it was intentional.

Haldir then blinked again as he felt someone pulling at his mind.

Haldir?

Legolas?

Aye, I am speaking to you through Almiel's bond.

I have never spoken with her from this far...

Elrond helped. From afar, Legolas could feel Haldir's sudden comprehension of the matter.

I felt she was hurting, but I could not do anything. What is wrong? I saw…

You must leave now. You must reach us by tomorrow if at all possible.

I would, but…

Elrond is speaking to his wife now to get Galadriel to see reason.

How did you?

Elrond found out. Don't go back to the city, leave now, Galadriel will be appeased. Hurry. Haldir nodded even though Legolas could not see him.

"I must leave," he told his brothers. "Galadriel will explain." He said. He whistled once for his horse which came galloping. He hopped on and galloped away, raising a hand in farewell to his brothers who exchanged a second very nervous glance. Something was indeed strange about their brother.

*

Elrond inclined his head to Thranduil. "I hate to leave at such a time, but Galadriel is demanding evidence of what I speak. As it is I do not think I can help as well as young Haldir can anyway, and he will hopefully be here within the day." Thranduil inclined his head back.

"I hope you are right." He seemed to struggle with something before speaking again. "I thank you for coming when you did and continuing to search for an answer never to be found. It means a great deal to me." Elrond smiled knowing how hard it had been for the Elvenking to unbend his pride enough for that to come through.

"You are most welcome, though I wish I could have done more." Elrond said. He looked into the Elvenking's eyes once more, seeing the pain and sadness within them. He wished he had words to comfort Thranduil, but he did not. And so sighing, he departed. Thranduil watched him leave and then returned to his daughter's side. No one was allowed in the room save for himself and Legolas and neither of them dared touch her. Legolas was watching her hoping for a miracle, but she seemed only to be declining as well. She was actually conscious now, but she was in delirium, and muttered things that made no sense.

All of the sudden, the door was thrown open and a slightly disheveled Haldir stormed into the room. Haldir leaned over her, not even acknowledging the caught off guard king and examined her quietly. After a few minutes, he finally spoke In barely a whisper. "Get someone to bring the strongest wine you have."

"What?" her father asked incredulously.

Haldir looked at him. "You are famous for your feasts, my King. I know you have rather strong wine, and we will need it ere this is over."

"But why?" Legolas asked.

"Your sister gives off energy whether she has it or not, but it is lessened in sleep as you've found out. Wine suppresses the senses, and her gift might as well be considered the same. If her gift is suppressed she may yet survive. Now if you will, someone send for the wine." Legolas looked at his father who nodded. Thranduil probably would not have tolerated the way Haldir was speaking at any other time, but the speed at which he had arrived in Mirkwood told Thranduil that he certainly cared enough to get there quickly.

That, and something had changed in his daughter's mind. She had not recognized either brother or father since she had passed out, but when Haldir forced her to look in his eyes something clicked. Some understanding of what was happening was passed to her, and her eyes actually focused on someone for the first time. Haldir let her chin go after that and stood waiting for Legolas to return.

Legolas arrived with a glass of wine. We have more just outside, but in the state she's in it won't take much. Haldir nodded and took the glass. He slowly tipped the wine down her throat, using his bond with her to make her swallow.

Sleep Princess. He repeated in her mind the entire time. That phrase combined with the potency of the wine had her out in no more than five minutes. Then he put his hand on her cheek.

"Are you sure you aren't taking her strength?" Thranduil asked, still rather overprotective of his daughter, but in the circumstance, no one could blame him.

"I never have before." Haldir said softly. He closed his eyes partly and searched her with his mind. She was weak of body and mind, and it had hurt her far worse than when she had experienced her first death with the Spider dying. This time she had poured herself into trying to stop the death rather than just relating to pain. However, the wine had done its job. She was no longer giving off any energy, not even to her family. Legolas, touch her arm softly. Legolas hesitatingly did so, and the small bulb of energy she had left to give did not pulse. Haldir sighed with relief. She's fine at this moment, but I will have to give her energy if she is to survive. We should keep her knocked out until she's stronger as well. Legolas nodded and relayed the information to his father who also nodded.

Then his vigil began. He would put his hand on her forehead and the other on her heart while simultaneously pressing his cheek against hers. He would then open the part of him that had not existed before he met Almiel and energy would flow from him to her. He had yet to figure out where this particular energy came from, for it did not seem to be his. In any case, Haldir did this three times a day for three days. During this time, either Legolas or Thranduil was in the room with him though never both. If Legolas was in the room, then Thranduil was busy actually running the kingdom or vice versa. Rhavaniel paced the room almost the entire time, and the rest of the time lay curled on the floor catching small amounts of sleep.

Finally, at dawn on the fourth day, Haldir went to Almiel and kissed her gently on the forehead. "Rise, young Princess." He whispered and she woke slowly. Legolas and Thranduil had both left the room this time for fear just in case she would do something rather reckless which, given her relatives, would not be all that surprising. Haldir sighed with relief as he looked into her eyes which showed life once more.

She was finally out of danger for the time being.