Chapter 109

April 6 3019 TA

The Ringbearers had awoken and were now well enough to move. Such it was, the feast was going as planned, everyone was having quite the merry time. Frodo and Sam had been awed to the point of tears, more particularly Sam. Late afternoon, however, an eagle swooped overhead. It landed near, but no one thought much of it. The Eagles had been moving around quite a lot of late. Then Gimli noticed that Legolas had grown quiet. Very quiet.

Even in the midst of his own sorrow, Legolas had still sung songs and laughed with the rest of them. His laughter was not quite what it used to be, and some of his songs sounded quite somber, but he still had never grown this quiet. Not since he first woke up. Since then, while he was not keeping watch over his sister, he was with the Fellowship and though he had been subdued, he was still merry.

"Laddie?" Gimli asked. Legolas said nothing, staring toward the point where the eagle had landed. Aragorn was not long in noticing either, and he silently questioned Mithrandir in Elvish. It was so quiet only the Sons of Elrond could have heard. It seemed they did for they got quiet as well. Some of the hobbits were wondering what could be happening. Then Legolas stood and walked away without a word in the same direction.

"Should we leave? Go to our own tent?" Elrohir quietly asked Elladan, still in Elvish. Elladan looked at him.

"No," he said, and then even quieter, "I do not think he will be joining any feast." Elrohir slowly nodded.

Gimli looked at Frodo. "Could you hear them?" Frodo shook his head. The Dwarf turned his eyes to Gandalf who no longer looked concerned, although Gimli noted his eyes glance toward where Legolas had gone off too. It was still loud, save for the few that had now grown quiet. Several minutes later, they all understood.

Legolas emerged from the tent line first, and Aragorn rose. He motioned for everyone to continue but he himself walked over. Suddenly, Gimli seemed to understand as well. He glanced at the hobbits. "Legolas' sister, well, she died." He said shortly. Frodo and Sam's shocked faces mirrored each other, remembering the elleth that had been so full of life. She had implied they would yet meet again. It seemed it was not to be.

"Is that why Haldir is not here?" Frodo asked.

"Nay," Gimli answered, "Haldir is here. He is depressed, but here. He has hardly left the body."

"So what has gotten into Aragorn and Legolas?" Pippin asked. Gimli nodded toward the pair.

A third figure walked out of the tent line. The third figure was tall, and it seemed graced with the litheness of a warrior. He was dressed in all back, even though it still looked like fair garments, and a black cloak was wrapped around him with a hood covering his face. Aragorn greeted him in Elvish fashion, but the figure only nodded before turning to Legolas again. Both of them appeared to be silent, but they were staring at each other with such intensity that most of those who knew anything about Elves realized they were speaking to each other silently.

Gimli thought he saw a peek of silver at the bottom of the ellon's cloak and realized he must still have his sword. "Who is that?" Merry asked.

"That is Legolas' father." Gandalf answered seeming grim about this situation.

"So it was his daughter that died?" Pippin asked Gimli sadly.

Gimli realized what all that meant in an instant and his face paled. The Elvenking has lost something precious. More precious than gems and gold, and those things started a war. Gimli suddenly stood, possessed by something within himself that he was not sure was rational. He knew the Elvenking might have a sword, but had figured if Thranduil was in a murderous anger then he could kill Gimli with his bare hands if he wanted.