Chapter 85

January 15 3019 TA

"I will climb up," Legolas said. "I am at home among trees, by root or bough. But now I shall climb, and I will see now what is their shape and way of growth."

"Whatever it may be," said Pippin, "they will be marvelous trees indeed if they can offer any rest at night, except to birds. I cannot sleep on a perch!"

"Then dig a hole in the ground," said Legolas, "if that is more after the fashion of your kind. But you must dig swift and deep, if you wish to hide from Orcs." He sprang lightly and caught a branch above his head. He swung there for a minute before he was stopped by a voice with a commanding tone.

"Daro!" Legolas dropped back to the ground in surprise and shrank against the bole of the tree.

"Stand still! Do not move or speak!" He hissed. This time laughter came from above them, and a different voice spoke.

Legolas looked up, frowning, before crossing his arms. He answered in the same strange speech they spoke, though he looked disgruntled.

"Who are they, and what do they say?" asked Merry.

"They're Elves." Said Sam. "Can't you hear their voices?"

"Yes, they are Elves." Legolas answered though he still seemed put off about something. "And they say that you breathe so loud they could shoot you in the dark." Sam appeared mortified and hastily put his hand over his mouth. "But they also say that you need have no fear. They heard my voice across the river, so they did not prevent us from crossing, and then they heard my song, and they knew who I was. Now they bid me climb up with Frodo; for they seem to have had some tidings of him and of our journey. The others they ask to wait awhile, and to keep watch at the foot of the tree, until they have decided what is to be done."

A rope ladder was lowered and Legolas went up it quite swiftly. "I thought we were brothers!" He cried almost as soon as the Marchwarden came into view.

Haldir shrugged apologetically. "It was worth it. It's not often I see the Prince scared out of his mind, especially at his own kindred's voice. I did not think it would work, I thought we at least had a strong enough bond for you to feel me as soon as you were across the river, if not before."

"I am not my sister." Legolas muttered while Rúmil and Orophin laughed to the side. They sat, cross legged, awaiting Frodo.

"Clearly," Haldir answered him. Then they waited. When Frodo ascended, followed closely by Sam who was trying to control his breathing, Rúmil uncovered a small lamp they had and shined it in their faces, then he shut it off and spoke a word of welcome to Frodo, though it was in Sindarin and not Westron.

Frodo spoke haltingly in return.

"Welcome!" Haldir then said. "We seldom use any tongue but our own; for we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk. Even Legolas' people used to be sundered from us, until recently, but even now I am one of the few who goes abroad for the gathering of news and the watching of our enemies. Haldir is my name. My brothers Rúmil and Orophin, speak little of your tongue.'

"But we have heard rumors of your coming, for the messengers of Elrond passed through here, and I myself took a message to the Elvenking on behalf of our Lady. We had not heard of- hobbits, halflings, for many a long year, and did not know that any yet dwelt in Middle-Earth. You do not look evil! And since you come with an Elf," Haldir and Legolas glanced at each other, a mischievous look in Haldir's eye, "we are willing to befriend you as Elrond has asked, though we do not often lead strangers through our land. But you must stay here tonight. How many are you?"