Chapter 48

c.2810 TA

The Orcs had braked to try to scout out their surroundings a little more. "They might not even have come this way, the beasts flew west." One of them snarled.

"Glugth smelled Elf around here, they must be here somewhere."

"Glugth could easily be mistaken." Another one argued. Their argument was increasing and threatening to become quite deathly when Glugth fell over, an arrow in the back of his head. The Orcs all stiffened and closed in ranks.

"We found them boys," the leader snarled. "Two Elves will be easily dealt with. Come out, pretty elflings. We will kill you, but first we will have our fun." He taunted. Surely such a brash Elf as to invade their stronghold would leap at the chance to face them all.

*

There's forty of them. Legolas said. And they are now taunting me, they think there's only two of us. I'm guessing they think it is Almiel and Mithrandir.

How armed are they? His father asked.

Well enough, but I see only eight archers. The rest have an assortment of blades that aren't really, well, blades.

Do you see Almiel?

No, but I feel her and Haldir. They aren't far from here, probably in the next clearing over.

Hmmm, good…

I know that tone… It got you in trouble before. Legolas said hesitantly. Thranduil chuckled.

Undoubtedly.

*

Almiel stared toward where the Orcs were. My brother is there. She said to Haldir.

Haldir nodded, he had felt Legolas through his own bond with him as well as Almiel's. Your father is not far behind.

Indeed, Almiel agreed. Her eyes then flickered to him. Your bond with me has deepened yet again.

Haldir smiled wryly. Are you surprised?

Not really, I just do not know how deep it will go. It seems impossible that it can go deeper.

Perhaps, but it is quite entertaining as well.

Why?

Because you're always frustrated that I'm the only one who seems immune to you. That and you're always somewhat caught off guard when I pull the same trick on you that you do to everyone else.

Almiel looked at him quite shocked. He merely grinned and laughed softly so the Orcs would not hear. Then she blinked. I think the Valar only sent you to annoy me by doing so.

I am sure that was their purpose. He said. Haldir raised an eyebrow slightly after and she crossed her arms and turned away. He reached out and caught her by the arm.

Do not tease me so.

Of course your highness, but as of right now you are my charge.

Be that as it may, I could simply go to my father not a mile from here.

I would be murdered for such a crime as letting you walk through a soon to be battleground. Almiel simply huffed and he pulled her back so that she was forced to accept his embrace. Holding her, he waited. He knew that Orcs or not, feeling the pain and fear of those dying would hurt her, and he would be here to keep her strong.