Chapter 26

c.2509 TA

After another four years in Imladris, it seemed things were taking an upturn. Her days had not been so dreary as they had seemed at first, and even in her homesickness she found peace that she felt she would be returning home soon. Even if it was not as soon as she had originally thought.

It was a normal day in Imladris at this point in the year, and the twins were valiantly trying to catch the two escaped elleths that had been eluding them the entire day: one their sister, they other Almiel.

They could hear Almiel's laughter fill the gardens as they tried in vain to catch her. Seemingly innocent, she could apparently do about as much damage as they could, and they were the ones to get in trouble for it. Somehow, even if she was caught, no one seemed to be able to blame her, so they still blamed Elladan and Elrohir.

Father was right.

About what?

I think we finally found something that bit back. Elrohir said grudgingly.

Elladan laughed and continued to race through his home. Suddenly Glorfindel appeared in front of them. "And what would you be doing racing through meditative gardens?" Elladan sighed.

"Would you believe us if we told you that we were coerced into this garden by being led on a merry goose hunt?" Glorfindel raised an eyebrow at him, and then at Elrohir.

"It's no good Dan, I think he would not believe us even if we told a lie."

"Mmmm, do you think they can even tell whether or not we were lying?"

"I am still here." Glorfindel said. "Don't worry, however, your father already knows."

"Of course he does." Elladan muttered as he walked off. Almiel's flute like laugh sounded above them and she dropped to the ground from a branch above them.

"Even when you tell the truth." She said patronizing them.

"Oh be quiet, you only get away with it because you are a guest."

"And Arwen does not?"

"What do I not do?" Came Arwen's voice. Elrohir threw up his hands.

"Why not join the party? Shall I tell Ada you are also running through meditative gardens?"

"I do not run," Arwen said. "I glide." She said and did an airy impression of gliding through the gardens. Almiel laughed once more.

"You see? Therein lies your problem, you are too inelegant of Elves."

"And you are any better?" Elladan challenged.

"Yes, Arwen glides, and I fly." She said and, indeed, when she ran she did like rather like she flew. It was one of the traits of the wood-elves who perhaps did indeed fly from tree to tree.

"I think it is because they are female." Elrohir stated. "Otherwise they would simply do as we do and walk gracefully." Almiel and Arwen exchanged a knowing look and then both laughed at the twin's situations before gliding or flying out of the garden together.

"We shall see you both at the feast tonight." Came Arwen's last call. Elladan and Elrohir watched them leave.

"Will you ask the Princess to dance tonight?" Elladan asked his brother with a slight spark to his eye. Elrohir shoved his brother.

"Only if none other does. I only did when Arwen came home because it was proper."

"Believe that though you might, I do not. You fancy her."