Chapter 54

c. 2941 TA

Legolas laughed as Almiel danced around him. It was their first feast of many for the summer months. Almiel decided that, as Thranduil would allow hardly any male partner near his daughter, Legolas would be her official partner the entire time. Thranduil, upon hearing this, had had quite a merry laugh before chuckling that it mattered not. Legolas had probably danced with every lady in Mirkwood anyway, and he had yet to display any interest in any of them.

Legolas spun Almiel in a circle, and then pulling her closer she smiled. "If father ever gives you an actual partner I shall be forced to dance with someone else."

"Then you should not be too grieved. Father has scared away every suitor that has come to call." Almiel said. Legolas shrugged.

"Fine by me," he teased.

"You would have me age old and die without a husband." His gaze softened.

"No, if you are truly meant to die, and you were to love someone who loved you back I would have you marry as soon as your love for each other is pronounced."

"Why thank you," Almiel said, "but it is not for certain that I shall indeed die at this time." Legolas examined her.

"If you say, I still find your hope a tad bit unbelievable though I pray every day it will not come to pass."

"Then why do you believe it so?"

"Because I know my sister all too well." Legolas said and smiled down at her.

Almiel sighed. "The future is not here yet, come, we shall enjoy the present while we can." The feast continued on, far into the night, while brother and sister chased woes of the future away with laughter and dance.

*

The Lord Bundraeg approached the Palace very confidently. He was of Lothlórien, and he was of good standing with both the Lady and with wealth. He was also rather shrewd and knew very well that the Elvenking had a daughter, not yet married, and would be looking for an advantageous marriage. His son, Hirveren, rode with him though they planned on just the Lord himself approaching the King. After all, no one wanted to get on the King's bad side. Ever.

The Palace gates opened for them silently and they rode in still confident. Unfortunately, while they had heard of Almiel and of Thranduil himself turning down suitors, they thought, or at least Bundraeg thought, that they would be different. They realized that Thranduil was in all probability searching out the bravery of each suitor when he tried to scare them, and they would show him that they were both brave. Though many would consider them both quite foolhardy as well for thinking that was all that was required to win the Princess' hand. All things considered, it looked to be an interesting day at the Palace.

When Lord Bundraeg walked in the throne room, he failed to notice the three Elven guards. Most people would, unless they were Elven themselves and perhaps even not then. They were well cloaked in the shadows along the edge of the throne room. Ahead of him, the Elvenking sat on his throne, while Legolas this time was standing nearby. The Princess was not present.

"Your Majesty," Bundraeg said and bowed, now alone. Thranduil's gaze was set purposely to make whoever came before him feel rather small and insignificant.

"Why have you come before your King?" Thranduil asked.

"With all due respect, I am from Lórien my lord." Thranduil simply raised one eyebrow, ever so slightly, as if to ask why that mattered.

"Do you have a message for us?" Legolas asked. He was rather hoping that the Lady or Haldir had sent some message saying they were coming or that at the least Saruman had answered their plea.