Chapter 110

April 6 3019 TA

Legolas and Haldir sat in the grass, where Gimli, Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam had joined them. Gimli was staring at the spot where Thranduil had vanished, clearly lost in thought. Finally, he spoke, "Long I feared what would come of our meeting, but of all the things I thought I would see in his eyes, the depth of... weariness was not one of them." Legolas clearly knew exactly who Gimli spoke of. His eyes glanced at Haldir, who remained mute, and then back at Gimli.

"My father has had long struggles with darkness, from Sauron and other places. We fought long to maintain our own freedom before this war even begun."

"Aye, that I knew, but there was something else, some sort of, well, I cannot exactly describe it. I was expecting to see loss, I knew he would be in mourning. But still- there was something I could not place. I thought it regret but I did not know what he could possibly regret?"

"I do not think it was regret, rather remembrance." Legolas said quietly. "He holds no specific grudge against your kin, he never did. Yes, he was there when Thingol was killed, and when your kin stumbled onto our feast like they did it probably did bring up past nightmares, but he only held them because they were trespassing. That would not be what he was remembering though." Legolas paused, staring back toward Mirkwood.

"Your kin in Moria, long 'ere it fell, were asked to forge something by my father, a mithril coat. It was to protect me, and after my younger siblings. At the same time they were asked to forge other things, for Greenwood itself. When they returned they said my father had not paid enough, and they took the coat back and left my father with the gold until he paid. He would have paid, perhaps, if my first brother had not died in the womb. He thought of it again every time my mother was with child, but every time the child never made it. My sister did for a short time, not Almiel- another. But still she did not make it past two hours after her birth. For whatever reason the Dwarves chose the day after her funeral to ask my father for the money once more, and angry my father threw the gold back at them, telling them to keep it. Perhaps that is why your kin had no particular regard for him, but it was not because of a grudge, rather sorrow." Legolas ended quietly.

"I don't understand." Frodo said. "Bilbo got the mithril coat in Erebor, not Moria, how did you know it was the same?"

"When we refused to pay, the Dwarves abandoned it and we thought no more of it. Sometime between then and Moria's destruction, it must have been sent to the Lonely Mountain. We never heard of it, and it resided there until it was given to Bilbo, quite forgotten whose it was by everyone except my father and I."

"Why did you not reclaim it? Bilbo would have given it back, as would I- still if you want it. It's yours after all and I doubt I will need it now." Frodo asked.

"Nay, it still would only serve as past reminder, when it will serve your people better. It will actually fit your people for life. And you may still need it yet, you do not know. My father did not want to see it again, and he was quite surprised when it showed up. It was given to you, thus it is yours."

"What I don't understand," Aragorn said, "Is how your sister was born if the last child never survived? I thought Elves could only get pregnant if they chose too."

Legolas' eyes darkened, and he glanced back toward the tent where Almiel rested. Suddenly, Haldir spoke for the first time. "You may as well tell them." He said softly, but in his own language. Legolas glanced at him. Haldir looked at him. "The whole reason for not telling anyone is now moot. They are your friends, you may as well tell them." He explained. Legolas slowly turned back to the others.

"In most cases, you are correct." Legolas said. "It was very unexpected. What you have to understand is that we knew this might happen from before her birth." He gestured back at the tent. "My father was awoken in the middle of the night one night. He was told that my mother would give birth to a gifted child that may die. My parents were terrified. They told no one, not even I, except for a private healer. I was told four months in, and no one else was until after she was born and proven healthy."