Chapter one-hundred-thirty-three

A silence fell. Harry, Faith and especially Hermione were confused.

"You heard me on the radio?" Hermione asked with raised eyebrows.

"No, I heard you coming out of my pocket. Your voice," Ron raised the Deluminator again, "came out of this,"

"And what exactly did I say?" Hermione asked, not sure if she was curious or very sceptical.

"My name. 'Ron'. And you said ... something about a wand ..."

Faith knew immediately what he was talking about. On the morning after they visited Godric's Hollow, they talked about repairing Harry's broken wand. It was the first time since Ron's departure that one of them mentioned his name and Hermione had been the one to say it. 

"So I took it out," Ron continued, "and it didn't seem different, or anything, but I was sure I'd heard you. So I clicked it. And the light went out in my room, but another light appeared right outside the window,"

He raised his hand and pointed at a spot a little further to give them an idea of what it was like.

"It was a ball of light, kind of pulsing, and bluish, like that light you get around a Portkey, you know?"

"Yeah," The other three said, completely wrapped around Ron's finger, amazed by the story.

"I knew this was it," Ron said. "I grabbed my stuff and packed it, then I put on my rucksack and went out into the garden. The little ball of light was hovering there, waiting for me, and when I came out it bobbled along a bit and I followed it behind the shed and then ... well, it went inside me,"

"Excuse me, what?" Faith asked, thinking she heard it wrong.

"It sort of floated towards me," Ron said, raising his hand again before touching his chest, "right to my chest, and then - it just went straight through. I could feel it, it was hot. And once it was inside me I knew what I was supposed to do, I knew it would take me where I needed to go. So I Disapparated and came out on the side of a hill. There was snow everywhere ..."

"We were there," Harry remembered. "We spent two nights there, and the second night Faith and I kept thinking we could hear someone moving around in the dark and calling out!"

"Yeah, well, that would've been me," Ron nodded. "Your protective spells work, anyway, because I couldn't see you and I couldn't hear you. I was sure you were around, though, so in the end I got in my sleeping bag and waited for one of you to appear. I thought you'd have to show yourselves when you packed up the tent,"

"No, actually," Hermione spoke up after being lost in Ron's story. "We've been Disapparating under the Invisibility Cloak as an extra precaution. And we left really early, because, as Harry says, we'd heard somebody blundering around,"

"Well, I stayed on that hill all day," Ron said. "I kept hoping you'd appear. But when it started to get dark I knew I must have missed you, so I clicked the Deluminator again, the blue light came out and went inside me, and I Disapparated and arrived here, in these woods. I still couldn't see you, so I just had to hope one of you would show yourselves in the end - and Harry and Faith did. Well, I saw the doe first, obviously,'

"You saw the what?" Hermione asked sharply. 

The of them explained exactly what had happened, from the moment Harry and Faith saw the doe, to when the Horcrux tried to kill Harry.

"But it must have been a Patronus!" Hermione said loudly, almost forgetting she was mad at Ron. "Couldn't you see who was casting it? Didn't you see anyone? And it led you to the sword! I can't believe this! Then what happened?"