Chapter thirty-two

By dinner, the entire school had heard what happened during Defence Against the Dark Arts. The students didn't try to quietly talk about it. Harry and Faith heard them talk all around them. It was like they were trying to get them angry again so they could hear the story from them. 

When they stopped by Professor McGonagall, they got a lecture about how they have to keep their heads down. That it wasn't about what is the truth and what is a lie at the moment. On the little pink note, they had to show McGonagall, Umbridge had written that she wanted Harry in detention every evening for a week. Faith was excused because of her grief for her brother. Umbridge obviously didn't feel sorry for her, she just didn't want to seem like that person that put the girl who lost her brother last year in detention the first lesson. She wanted to seem like the students' friend. 

Faith thought it was utterly ridiculous. She expected that kind of behaviour from the other teachers because they knew her but Umbridge just came waltzing in and acts like everyone's friend. She didn't want to be treated differently. It was nice but didn't make sense at all because Harry lost both of his parents and almost got killed himself but no one sympathizes him for that.

The day after the first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson was quite boring and also a little frustrating because they had Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins. Hagrid was still not back so they were stuck with Professor Grubbly-Plank who was still very fascinated by Faith's abilities like she was one of the creatures they were supposed to know about for their exams. That day Professor Grubbly-Plank was teaching them about Bowtruckles.

After having the class answer some questions about Metamorphmagi (Grubbly-Plank saw Faith again and noticed how her hair was affecting her mood so she couldn't help herself), Professor Grubbly-Plank made them get a Bowtruckle from the trestle table and sketch the body-parts of the Bowtruckles. 

When the four got one, they sat down on the grass and took out their quills and parchment for the sketch.

"Seriously, does she think I'm one of those magical creatures from our books?" Faith sighed as she tried to hold the moving tree branch in one hand and sketch the thing with the other without having the parchment getting blown away with the wind. 

"Well, you aren't a completely normal human, are you?" Ron said with a grin, making Faith roll her eyes.

"I'm a hundred per cent human. I'm just better at human transfiguration, that's all," Faith told him as she made sure the Bowtruckle didn't scratch her hand when she held it. "I don't come with guidelines on how to deal with me,"

"Wish you did," Ron teased her so Faith jabbed him in his side but it only made him laugh. Hermione and Harry laughed along too. 

Then, Harry told them about what Malfoy just said to him when he had asked Grubbly-Plank where Hagrid was. 

"Dumbledore would know if something had happened to Hagrid," Hermione assured Harry since he was now worried Hagrid got hurt on his mission of Dumbledore. "It's just playing into Malfoy's hands to look worried; it tells him we don't know exactly what's going on. We've got to ignore him, Harry. Here, hold the Bowtruckle for a moment, just so I can draw its face ..."

"Yes," The four heard from the group closest to them. Malfoy's gang. "Father was talking to the Minister just a couple of days ago, you know, and it sounds as though the Ministry's really determined to crack down on sub-standard teaching in this place. So even if that overgrown moron does show up again, he'll probably be sent packing straight away,"

"OUCH!" The sound came from both Harry and Faith. The Bowtruckle Harry was holding for Hermione had scratched two deep cuts in his hand with its sharp fingers because Harry had started to tighten his grip on the thing from anger. Faith's hand was bleeding too and her hair reacted to the pain instantly, standing up straight and turning blue for a second. The two Bowtruckles escaped from their grips and set off at full speed towards the Forest.