Chapter forty-five

The four took their usual seats in the back of the class and took the necessary things for Potions out of their bags. The rest of the class was still whispering about what happened with Neville but everyone fell silent when Snape closed the door with a loud bang. 

"You will notice," Snape started with his usual sneering voice as always, "that we have a guest with us today," He extended his arm to point at the corner where the one and only Professor Toad sat. 

Faith immediately let her head fall in her arms. The two people, aside from Voldemort, she hated the most in one room with power over all the students. That could not end well. And Faith had promised to hold herself in around Professor Toad.

"We are continuing our Strengthening Solution today. You will find your mixtures as you left them last lesson; if correctly made they should have matured well over the weekend - instructions -" He waved his wand over the board, "- on the board. Carry on,"

The first half-hour, Umbridge said nothing, she just sat in her corner making notes. That meant Harry and Faith could concentrate on their Potion. Faith still made mistakes. She just couldn't remember how much of the ingredients she had to put in, the second she looked away from the board.

"Salamander blood, Harry!" Hermione whispered when Harry was concentrating on Umbridge who finally walked across the room. Harry quickly put the bottle down, but then Faith picked it up without much thought. Hermione quickly snatched it from her hands and put it far away from the two. 

"Well, the class seem fairly advanced for their level," Umbridge said firmly. "Though I would question whether it is advisable to teach them a potion like the Strengthening Solution. I think the Ministry would prefer it if that was removed from the syllabus,"

Snape ignored her but turned around to face her.

"Now ... how long have you been teaching at Hogwarts?" She asked, quill ready to make notes.

"Fourteen years," Snape answered, not even flinching. Faith and Harry were both so caught up in the conversation that they didn't notice what they were putting in their potions. With a few drops and a hiss, Harry's Strengthening Solution turned from turquoise to orange. Faith's had become pink in the meantime. 

"You applied first for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post, I believe?" Umbridge questioned Snape.

"Yes,"

"But you were unsuccessful?"

"Obviously,"

Professor Umbridge scribbled something down on her clipboard.

"And you have applied regularly for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post since you first joined the school, I believe?"

"Yes," Snape's mouth had formed into a thin line. He was mad and that wasn't good for anyone.

"Do you have any idea why Dumbledore has consistently refused to appoint you?"

"I suggest you ask him," Snape answered slowly. 

"Oh, I shall," Umbridge smiled.

"I suppose this is relevant?" Snape's eyes narrowed. 

"Oh, yes," Umbridge said. 'Yes, the Ministry wants a thorough understanding of teachers' - er - backgrounds," Umbridge turned on her heel and started to ask Pansy about the lessons. 

"No marks again, then, Potter," Snape's voice said from behind Harry and Faith, scaring them. With a flick of his wand, Harry's cauldron emptied. "You will write me an essay on the correct composition of this potion, indicating how and why you went wrong, to be handed in next lesson, do you understand?" Harry nodded, suppressing the urge the roll his eyes in annoyance. "I'm sure Miss Diggory can help you add some common mistakes too," Snape finished after one look at Faith's potion.