Chapter ninety-two

"... and then there was another flash of light and I landed on the bed again!" Ron told Hermione and Faith over breakfast, the morning of a trip to Hogsmeade. 

Ron was telling the two what had happened that morning in the Gryffindor common room. Harry had tried out a spell which made Ron hang down by his ankles, waking all the boys up by Ron's yells but it turned out to be quite a laugh. Well, not for Hermione much. 

"Was this spell, by any chance, another one from that Potions book of yours?" Hermione asked sternly. 

"Always jump to the worst conclusion, don't you?" Harry frowned at her. 

"Was it?"

"Well ... yeah, it was, but so what?"

Faith shook his head at him with a smile. He definitely wasn't the brightest at reading people. To Faith's and Ron's amusement, Harry had been trying lots of spells from the Prince's book. One made a person's toenails grow (he tried it on Crabbe), another one he had used twice, under applause from the students, caused the victim's tongue to stick to the roof of their mouth (Filch wasn't very happy), but Muffliato turned out to be the most useful one as it caused nearby people to have their ears filled with a buzzing noise so that the caster could have a conversation without being overheard. Every time Harry used it, Hermione refused to talk to him. Faith thought the spells were rather funny than dangerous but still understood Hermione's point of view much better.

"So you just decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?"

"Why does it matter if it's handwritten?" Harry said, ignoring the latter part. 

"It's probably not Ministry-approved," Faith answered without looking up from the book she was reading. She had decided to start practising some of the tricks from the metamorphmagus books she had. 

Harry looked at her with squinted eyes but she just winked back cheekily when she noticed he was looking at her.

"And also," Hermione said, "because I'm starting to think this Prince character was a bit dodgy,"

"It was just a laugh!" Ron said indignantly. "Just a laugh, Hermione, that's all!"

"Dangling people upside-down by the ankle?" Hermione asked. "Who puts their time and energy into making up spells like that?"

"Fred and George," Ron said immediately, "it's their kind of thing. And - er -"

"It doesn't matter who would or wouldn't do that," Harry cut in. "No harm done. Faith, you agree with us, right?"

Faith looked up with raised eyebrows, surprised she was getting pulled into this. 

"I would but then we'd both be wrong," She smiled innocently before getting back to her book. Harry quickly snatched it from under her nose. "Hey!"

"Nothing happened so there's nothing wrong with it," Harry told her, using all his might and strength to ignore Faith's small smirk on her lips. 

"Not yet," Faith said as she tried to take her book back but Harry's arms were too long. "OK, OK, I think the spells are funny but you never know if the next one you try severs someone's arm or slits someone's throat. Just don't try anything that has a skull drawn next to it or anything of that sort,"

"I'm not that dense," Harry mumbled as he gave her back her book. 

"Well ..." Harry made a move to get the book again but she held it away from him. "I'm kidding!" She opened it on the page she was but then looked up at him again. "You know what I just remembered? I don't know if you guys saw but at the Quidditch World Cup the Death Eaters used the same spell against those Muggles if I remember correctly,"