Chapter thirty-seven

The next day, the four spend the entire Sunday with their face in the books for homework. They sat at the table by the window like always, trying to write all the essays, practice the spells and make the assignments. Harry and Ron had some progress, to everyone's surprise, but Faith didn't. She spent most of the morning and early afternoon on the essay for Professor McGonagall. Harry and Ron finished that much earlier but Faith was stuck. The words didn't flow out like they usually did when she made an essay, especially one for Transfiguration, her best subject. 

It was already evening when Faith finally gave up and started the next essay for Professor Sinistra about Jupiter's many moons. That was something where Faith usually didn't have to think much. 

"You know, we probably should try and get more homework done during the week," Harry said and Faith sighed. She knew he was right, she knew all week long but she just couldn't get it done. 

"Yeah," Ron agreed. "Listen ... shall we just ask Hermione if we can have a look at what she's done?" The three eyed Hermione who was happily chatting with Ginny whilst knitting more hats for the house-elves. 

"No," Harry said. "You know she won't let us,"

"And we don't need it," Faith added with a yawn. "I did the previous three years with her notes so this year would be no problem either," Harry and Ron shared a look with each other. They tried not to interrupt her when she finally wrote some stuff down but since she said she'd start on the Astronomy essay, she hasn't changed her Transfiguration book for that one. She had been reading the same Transfiguration chapter while working on her Astronomy essay. 

"How about we make the essay for you, Faith?" Harry suggested and Faith lifted her head from her arms with a frown. "So you go to bed,"

"No, no, I'm fine," Faith tried to dip her quill in the ink bottle while looking at Harry but missed and got it on her hand. "I just need to finish this, and then I'll go," And Harry didn't suggest it again. They worked without a break until Hermione walked over with a yawn at half-past eleven. 

"Nearly done?" She asked.

"No," Ron just said. 

"Jupiter's biggest moon is Ganymede, not Callisto," Hermione commented when she looked over Ron's shoulder at his essay. "And it's Io that's got the vulcanoes,"

"Thanks," Ron barked as he scratched out those words.

"Sorry, I only -"

"Yeah, well, if you've just come over here to criticise -"

"Ron -"

"I haven't got time to listen to a sermon, all right, Hermione, I'm up to my neck in it here -"

"No - look!" Hermione pointed at the window, the three following her gaze and they saw a large owl, just standing there, looking at Ron. "Isn't that Hermes?" Hermione asked.

"Blimey, it is!" Ron exclaimed. "What's Percy writing me for?" He jumped up and got to the window to open it. Hermes flew in and landed on Ron's essay, sticking out its leg to which a letter was attached. Ron took off the scroll, Hermes flew out the window immediately, and looked at the writing on the outside. "That's definitely Percy's handwriting," Ron said as he sank back in his chair. "What d'you reckon?"

"Open it!" Hermione eagerly said and Harry and Faith nodded. Faith hadn't seen Percy since he had been the substitute for Mr Crouch at the Triwizard Tournament last year. She knew he had gotten into an argument with his parents about Dumbledore but she didn't know that much about it. She missed him, though. 

Ron opened it. It was a long letter. Ron was the first to read it but when he finished he looked disgusted. He handed it over to Harry who began to read it with Hermione and Faith looking over his shoulders.