Chapter one-hundred-fifty-two

(Alright let's see if it works again now)

Harry was the first to wriggle himself through the small passage hidden in the trunks of the tree. It seemed much smaller than the last time he entered it but he managed to get through it, and just seconds later, Faith slid in behind him. The ceiling of the passageway was low, Ron and Harry definitely had to crawl but Faith and Hermione could still stand doubled over, though they decided to crawl. Harry had lit up the tip of his wand to get through the darkness and was expecting there to be a trap every step they took but there was nothing. 

They approached the end of the tunnel as silently as possible but came across nothing until a faint light was lit behind the door at the very end. 

"The Cloak!" Hermione whispered from behind Faith. "Put the Cloak on!"

Faith reached back and felt Hermione hand her the slippery fabric of the Invisibility Cloak which Faith handed to Harry so he could get as close as possible whilst the other three laid back. 

"... my Lord, their resistance is crumbling -" Faith heard the voice of Severus Snape.

"- and it is doing so without your help," Voldemort's voice was much louder and clearer. "Skilled wizard though you are, Severus, I do not think you will make much difference now. We are almost there ... almost,"

"Let me find the boy. Let me bring you Potter. I know I can find him, him or the girl, my Lord. Please,"

The small beam of light that slightly illuminated the tunnel flickered, meaning someone walked past the door. It was silent for a moment. Faith could hear her own breathing.

"I have a problem, Severus," Voldemort spoke.

"My Lord?" Snape asked unsurely.

"Why doesn't it work for me, Severus?"

Faith couldn't see what was going on in the room so it wasn't until Snape spoke up again that Faith understood what Voldemort was talking about.

"My - my Lord?" Snape asked again. "I do not understand. You - you have performed extraordinary magic with that wand,"

"No," Voldemort said. "I have performed my usual magic. I am extraordinary -"

Faith begged to differ.

"- but this wand ... no. It has not revealed the wonders it has promised. I fell no difference between this wand and the one I procured from Ollivander all those years ago,"

Faith felt Harry's scar throb in her own forehead and sighed in relief that she could finally feel his pain again. The Curse had been too irregular for their liking for a while.

"No difference," Voldemort repeated.

There was a long silence again, a deafening one for Faith. She wanted nothing more than to blow up the entire Shrieking Shack and bury both Voldemort and Snape in the debris but she had promised Harry she wouldn't and Faith always tried her best to fulfil her promises to Harry. 

"I have thought long and hard, Severus ... do you know why I have called you back from the battle?"

"No, my Lord, but I beg you will let me return. Let me find Potter,"

"You sound like Lucius. Neither of you understands Potter as I do. He does not need finding. Potter will come to me. I know his weakness, you see, his one great flaw. He will hate watching the others struck down around him, knowing that it is for him that it happens. He will hate watching the Diggory girl suffer because of him, because of the Curse. He will want to stop it at any cost. He will come,"