Chapter one-hundred-six

Faith, Ron, and Neville were hurrying through the corridors. Ron had the Marauders Map in his hands and eyed it every couple of seconds to see if anyone was approaching them or if Malfoy had left the Room of Requirement. Faith's heart was beating in her throat. She wanted to know if Harry was OK so badly. Faith hoped that if Harry got injured, the curse would let her feel it so she'd know if he needed help and if he was OK. 

"Here it is," Ron panted when they stopped in front of the painting with the ballet dancing trolls that hung on the opposite wall of the one that would show them the door to the Room of Requirement. 

"Do you reckon he's still in there?" Neville asked as he moved to stand beside Ron, looking over his shoulder to spot Malfoy on the Map.

"I can't see him anywhere else, he has to be in there," Ron said. "We can't get in there, can we?"

"No, Harry and I have tried multiple times, we don't know what form the Room takes for Malfoy," Faith said as her eyes were nervously fixed on the blank wall. What could Malfoy possibly be doing in there?

"Then we'll just have to wait," Ron sighed. "What do we do when he comes out?"

Both Ron and Neville looked at Faith assuming she'd know.

"Jinx him?" Faith asked with a shrug. "Kidnap him?"

"Improvising it is, then," Ron chuckled anxiously. 

None of them had any idea what was waiting for them on the other side of the wall. They didn't have the slightest clue how this night was going to turn out. Faith wasn't really worried about herself as she figured they'd be safe in the castle, she was much more worried about Harry facing a piece of Voldemort's soul. If Dumbledore had really found a Horcrux, Voldemort wouldn't just let them take it. Faith figured it was probably protected by charms and curses to weaken the intruder, wherever they were. Faith realised she felt a lot less secure here than that she felt when they were in the Department of Mysteries and she knew that was because Harry was with her back then. 

The three Gryffindors waited for an hour. They kept watch on either side of the corridor to see if any other members from Dumbledore's Army would come and help them but the corridor stayed deserted. Only Neville answered the call from the coin, and Luna came with Ginny. They probably missed the DA meetings the most. Neville was really good, one of the best, and Luna liked hanging out with them there, she said it was like having friends. Faith hoped that Luna knew that she saw her as her friend. 

A loud sliding noise suddenly woke Faith from her thoughts. A large brass, black door started to appear on the empty wall. 

"He's coming!" Faith warned Ron and Neville who were on either side of the corridor. They quickly hid behind armour suits and Faith camouflaged herself to the stone walls so Malfoy wouldn't see her. 

She held her breath and watched as the doors slowly slid open and the blond Slytherin appeared behind them. He was clutching a thing Faith recognised as a Hand of Glory and something hidden in his clenched fists. He looked horrible. He was much paler than usual, his skin looked almost grey and he had dark circles around his eyes. And strangest of all, he looked frightened. 

Malfoy looked around the corridor to see if the coast was clear. He looked back into the Room of Requirement and Faith saw he was mouthing something to someone yet she couldn't see who as a clanging sound from one of the armour suits sounded through the silence. Faith couldn't see if it was Ron or Neville. She made herself visible for Malfoy and she saw his eyes widen. Faith raised her wand at him.

"Pertrificus totalus!" She said but she didn't see if it hit her target as Malfoy threw the thing he had in his fist on the ground halfway her sentence. Smoke rapidly emerged from the spot Malfoy threw it down and within seconds the entire corridor was filled with the black smoke making it unable for Faith to see anything. She couldn't even see her hands in front of her.