Chapter eighty-nine

"So what did Professor Slughorn want?" Hermione asked after a short silence which consisted of Harry using everything in his power to fight the rush to his cheeks after realising that he was most definitely in love with his best friend. 

"He invited a bunch of students with famous relatives and asked questions about them. And of course, he had to ask what happened that night at the Ministry," Faith said with a roll of her eyes. 

Harry was unable to answer so he just nodded. 

"Him and everyone else here," Hermione scoffed. "People were interrogating us about it on the train, weren't they, Ron?"

"Yeah," Ron nodded. "All wanted to know if you really are the Chosen One -"

"I jinxed Zacharias Smith over it, and later Ginny did it too. Annoying prat, he is," Faith told them. 

"There has been much talk on that very subject even amongst ghosts," Nearly Headless Nick said as he zoomed across the table, head dangerously wobbling. "I am considered something of a Potter authority; it is widely known that we are friendly. I have assured the spirit community that I will not pester you for information, however. 'Harry Potter knows that he can confide in me with complete confidence' I told them. 'I would rather die than betray his trust',"

"That's not saying much, seeing as you're already dead," Ron remarked. 

"Once again, you show all the sensitivity of a blunt axe," Nearly Headless Nick barked and he zoomed away from them just as Dumbledore stood up from the staffs' table. A silence fell over the Great Hall.

"The very best of evenings to you!" Dumbledore said as he spread his arms, revealing the blackened hand Harry and Faith had noticed when he picked them up. 

"What happened to his hand?" Hermione asked shocked. It still looked as dead as before, it did not heal a bit. 

Students started to whisper but Dumbledore just hid his hand under his sleeve and smiled kindly at them. 

"Nothing to worry about," He reassured them. "Now ... to our new students, welcome; to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you ..."

"His hand was like that when we saw him over summer," Faith whispered at Hermione. "I thought he'd have cured it by now, though ... or Madam Pomfrey would've done,"

"It looks as if it's died," Hermione breathed. "But there are some injuries you can't cure ... old curses ... and there are potions without antidotes ..."

"... and Mr Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shop called Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Those wishing to play for their house Quidditch teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, who should do likewise. 

"We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff this year. Professor Slughorn," The man in questions stood up and waved at the students, "is a former colleague of mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master,"

"Potions?"

"Potions?"

The students repeated that word through the hall, asking if they heard that right. 

"Potions?" Both Ron and Hermione turned to Harry and Faith who looked at each other with a frown - Harry still had a faint blush on his cheeks. "But you said -"

"Professor Snape, meanwhile," Dumbledore continued, "will be taking over the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher,"

"No!" Faith said a little too loudly as several heads turned her way. Everyone knew that the reason Dumbledore didn't give Snape the position all those years was that he didn't trust him enough to do it, but now, when the Second Wizarding World has officially begun, he allowed him to do it?