Chapter sixty-eight

"All right, Evans?" James said in a suddenly much deeper and mature voice.

"Leave him alone," Lily repeated. The way she looked at James was certainly not the look Harry and Faith expected her to look. They got married and had Harry later on, after all. But this look was a look of disgust, great dislike. "What's he done to you?"

"Well," James started with a grin, "it's more like the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean ..."

Many of the surrounding students laughed but some didn't even pay attention. A boy and a girl were snogging in the shadows of one of the trees, some Ravenclaw girls were enchanting their exam papers folded into paper planes to fly, and Remus Lupin was still buried in his book.

"You think you're funny," Lily said coldly. "But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone,"

"I will if you go out with me, Evans," James said quickly, as if he already had that answer prepared. "Go on ... go out with me and I'll never lay a wand of Snivelly again,"

Behind James, Snape was crawling towards his wand, spitting out soap.

"I wouldn't go out with you if it was a choice between you and a giant squid," Lily spat.

"Bad luck, Prongs," Sirius said grinning as he turned back around towards Snape. "OI!" 

But he realised Snape had gotten his wand back too late. Snape pointed his wand at James and a flash of light appeared, creating a bloody gash on James's temple and cheek. Bloody splattered on his clothes. With a second flash, James had Snape hanging upside-down in the air.

This made Lily furious.

"Let him down!" She screamed.

"Certainly," With a jerk of his wand, James let Snape drop to the ground. Snape tried to disentangle himself from his clothes but when he did Sirius was quick to jinx him again.

"Pertrificus Totalus!" Snape fell over, stiff as a plank.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Lily shouted loudly, drawing her own wand now. 

James and Sirius shared a look, maybe a little intimidated.

"Ah, Evans, don't make me hex you," James tried to reason with her.

"Take the curse off him, then!"

James sighed deeply and dramatically before muttering the counter-curse.

"There you go," He said. "You're lucky Evans was here, Snivellus -"

Snape got back on his feet again with a furious expression.

"I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!" 

Faith's eyes widened at that. How could he say that? It made Faith loathe Snape even more, despite what she and Harry just saw happen to him. It didn't justify a thing he did.

"Fine," Lily simply blinked at him. "I won't bother you in the future. And I'd wash my pants if I were you, Snivellus,"

"Apologise to Evans!" James was furious now too. He pointed his wand threateningly at Snape again.

"Hey, what is going on here?" 

The girl Faith just saw snogging a boy with a Hufflepuff uniform walked towards the scene from across Harry and Faith. She had long dark hair, tied in a braid. Piecing grey eyes looked at James Potter. Faith's mouth fell open.

"Is that -?" She heard Harry ask and she nodded. 

That was her mother.

The boy she was snogging walked to the scene too, standing close to Edith Eller. Faith recognised him immediately too. That was Amos Diggory, her father. Both of Faith's parents were wearing their Hufflepuff attire and had a badge that had a big 'H' on it; they were Head Boy and Head Girl.