Chapter fifty

That evening, the four went to Hagrid's immediately, and Hagrid told them all about what he had been doing. It was Dumbledore that had sent him on a mission to talk to the giants with Madam Maxime. They were unsuccessful. The first giant leader they talked to was close to agreeing with them to help Dumbledore but then he was killed by another giant and he didn't like Hagrid and Madam Maxime. Later, a couple of Death Eaters did manage to convince the leader.

Hagrid came back much later than Madam Maxime and he wouldn't tell them why. He even returned with his face cut open and a black eye but he didn't let out a single thing. 

The four were almost caught in Hagrid's hut when Professor Umbridge decided to stop by. She wanted to know why he only got back after the term started and asked him all about what he had been doing. 

When Umbridge left, they explained what Hagrid had missed while he was gone. How Umbridge was going to inspect his teaching so he shouldn't teach them any lessons on Creatures that are considered dangerous in the Ministry's eyes. Hagrid didn't want to hear any of it. 

The next day, Hermione was so scared for Hagrid to get sacked that she went to his hut to try to convince him to teach them something about Knarls and hedgehogs or something like that. Harry, Ron and Faith stayed in the Gryffindor common room to make their homework. Well, they tried. They mostly talked about random subjects and then continued with an essay for ten minutes before the next conversation started. 

"So what do you guys want for Christmas?" Harry asked suddenly, placing his quill down. Faith shrugged.

"I don't know," She said. 

"I saw this really cool Broom Compass!" Ron said quickly. Harry and Faith shared a look as if they were fighting for who could give Ron that.

"Anything else?" Faith asked him subtly, eyebrows raised. 

"I suppose I could do with new broom cleaning stuff," He shrugged and Faith nodded. She'll give him something like that. Maybe a strawberry-smelling varnish or something. 

"And you?" Faith asked Harry. 

"I could do with a book about defensive spells, for the DA, you know," Harry told her and Faith nodded approvingly, mentally making a note to herself to ask her father to send her a couple of his uncle's books. 

"And you? Really can't think of something?" Harry questioned back. Faith put her quill down, leaned with her chin on her hand and thought. The only thing that kept popping into her head when she thought of something she really wanted was Cedric but that was impossible for obvious reasons. 

"Y'know what I really want?" Faith finally said.

"No, that why he's asking -" Ron grinned.

"To spend Christmas with you guys in the Burrow or something, or with Sirius in Grimmauld Place," Faith told them.

"Aren't you staying with your parents for the first time in forever?" Ron asked her, very confused by her answer. 

"Yes, but if we celebrate Christmas, I know it will just be depressing. We'll all get sad about what we'd usually do when he was still there and I don't want that," Faith explained. "I know it doesn't fit in the Burrow but I'd really like it to spend Christmas with you guys and my parents,"

Harry thought about what Faith said for a long time after that. She didn't want anything, despite her many hobbies, but just wanted to be with the ones that were still with her. Harry couldn't imagine how it would feel like to have someone all your life and then suddenly lose them. He couldn't really remember his parents, just from pictures so it felt different for him. He did want to give Faith something. He didn't how he could arrange her wish but there was something she wanted even more; Cedric. And Harry might've just thought of an idea.