Chapter one-hundred-sixteen

"Sinummonilia?" Faith repeated confused. "What is that?"

Scrimgeour didn't answer. He reached into the purple pouch again and took out a silver object. He held it by the chain as he let the rest fall down, suspending it in mid-air. It was a medallion, a silver, oval charm hung from the chain. It had beautiful small engravings that glowed red when it was held in a certain light. 

"It is one of Dumbledore's own creations," Scrimgeour said. "It locket that can hold your most prized possessions. The Ministry was not able to open it because it is enchanted to only open at face recognition. I was hoping you could try it out, see if it opens for you?"

Scrimgeour handed the medallion to Faith, holding it was close to her face so she could open it. The medallion made a creaking noise when it faced Faith. The engravings glowed red for a moment but then nothing happened. Scrimgeour looked surprised, it seemed as if he had expected the medallion to open for Faith. 

"Why do you think Dumbledore would leave you this Sinummonilia when it doesn't open for you?" Scrimgeour asked as Faith examined the medallion, front and back. 

"How would I know?" Faith remarked. "And if I would, why would I tell you?"

Scrimgeour didn't really have an answer for that so he turned back to the scroll that contained Dumbledore's will and read over the lines to see where the next part was. 

"'To Miss Hermione Jean Granger, I leave my copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, in the hope that she will find it entertaining and instructive.'"

He took a book from the pouch that looked as ancient as Dumbledore probably was. It was old and battered, as if it had been read millions of times. Hermione took it without a word and looked at the title, it was in runes, before a single tear dropped on the cover. 

"Why do you think Dumbledore left you that book, Miss Granger?" Scrimgeour asked. 

"He ... he knew I liked books," Hermione sniffed thickly. 

"But why that particular book?"

"I don't know. He must have thought I'd enjoy it,"

"Did u ever discuss codes, or any means of passing secret messages, with Dumbledore?"

"No, I didn't," Hermione said harshly as she wiped the tears from her eyes with her sleeve. "And if the Ministry hasn't found any hidden codes on this book in thirty-one days, I doubt that I will,"

She sobbed again so Ron quickly put an arm around her shoulder to comfort her. 

"'To Ronald Bilius Weasley, I leave my Deluminator, in the hope that he will remember me when he uses it,'" Scrimgeour now took an object that to Faith looked like a silver cigarette lighter but it was much larger than a usual one. He handed it over to Ron who looked at it with big eyes. 

"That is a valuable object," Scrimgeour said as he watched the expression on Ron's face carefully. "It may even be unique. Certainly it is of Dumbledore's own design, like the Sinummonilia. Why would he have left you an item so rare?"

Ron just shook his head in confusion. He had no idea.

"Dumbledore must have taught thousands of students," Scrimgeour pressed on. "Yet the only ones he remembered in his will are you four. Why is that? To what use did he think you would put this Deluminator, Mr Weasley?"

"Put out lights, I s'pose," Ron muttered. "What else could I do with it?"

Scrimgeour chose not to answer that. 

"'To Harry James Potter'," Scrimgeour continued with a grumble, "'I leave the Snitch he caught in his first Quidditch match at Hogwarts, as a reminder of the rewards of perseverance and skill,'"