Chapter forty-two

Two weeks had passed and the idea of Harry teaching them Defence Against the Dark Arts was not mentioned again. His detentions with Umbridge were finally over although the scratches on the back of his hand were probably never disappearing again, no matter how many times Faith healed them. Ron had gotten better and better during the Quidditch practices and all four managed to Vanish their mice in Transfiguration (Hermione moved onto kittens) and they still hadn't found out why Harry's wound was on Faith's that night. 

Now, in the evening, at the end of September, they sat in the library, looking up potion ingredients for Snape. 

"I was wondering," Hermione began. "Whether you'd thought any more about Defence Against the Dark Arts, Harry," Faith looked up to Harry, also very curious. 

"Course I have," Harry muttered. "Can't forget it, can we, with that hag teaching us -"

"I meant the idea Ron, Faith, I had -" Ron gave her a warning look, "- oh, all right, the idea Faith and I had, then - about you teaching us," Harry continued reading the page he was on, thinking about it again. He still thought the idea was insane but subconsciously he had been preparing lessons in his head when he came across the defensive spells he knew.

"Well," He started slowly. "Yeah, I - I've thought about it a bit,"

"And?" Faith asked inquisitively.

"I dunno," Harry looked at Ron.

"I thought it was a good idea from the start," Ron said, clearly changing his mind when he saw Harry wasn't going to explode again.

"You did listen to what I said about a load of it being luck, didn't you?" Harry asked, just to be sure, with a frown on his face. 

"Yes, Harry," Hermione said. "But all the same, there's no point pretending that you're not good at Defence Against the Dark Arts, because you are. You were the only person last year who could throw off the Imperious Curse completely -"

"No, that's not true, Faith did it too," Harry interrupted. 

"That's only because I'm a metamorphmagus, that doesn't count," Faith countered. 

"Yeah, how does that work?" Ron asked, suddenly very interested.

"I don't know, something psychological, I suppose,"

"Also," Hermione continued. "You can produce a Patronus -"

"Yeah, you promised to show me once!" Faith interrupted again with a pout.

"And you can do all sorts of stuff that full-grown wizards can't, Viktor always said -" 

Ron looked up so fast at the mention of that name, his neck almost snapped.

"Yeah? What did Vicky say?" Hermione sighed at Ron, Faith wasn't sure if it was because of Ron freaking out about Viktor Krum or because she was interrupted for the fourth time.

"He said Harry knew how to do stuff even he didn't, and he was in the final year at Durmstrang," Ron looked at her with a suspicious glare before turning to Faith.

"She's still in contact with him, isn't she?" He asked her as Faith's eyes widened.

"I don't know, it's none of my business who she writes," Faith said, Hermione smiled at her. 

"So what if I am?" Hermione asked Ron coolly. "I can have a pen-pal if I -"

"He didn't only want to be your pen-pal!"

Hermione just shook her head at him and turned back to Harry who had been quiet since he mentioned Faith as being capable too.

"Well, what do you think? Will you teach us?"