Chapter seven

Two not very exciting days later, it was the fourth-year Gryffindors' first lesson from Professor Moody. All of them were really looking forward to the lesson since Fred and George told them a lot of exciting things about it. Harry and Ron had pulled Faith away from her lunch so they could get decent seats in the front. Ron and Harry sat right in front of his desk and Hermione and Faith just behind them. Faith usually sat in a corner in the back because she felt like the eyes of the people behind her would be on her. It made her very anxious so she protested a little when she was pulled to sit with them but Ron was too persistent. 

They pulled out their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self Protection from their bags and then waited, unusually quiet. A few moments later, they could hear him thumping down the hallway to the classroom.

"You can put those away, those books," He sat down behind his desk and took out the register from a drawer. "You won't need them," 

He shook out his dark, grey hair and started to call out names, checking if everyone was present. 

"Right then," He said after he finished. "I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling Dark Creatures. You've covered Boggarts, Red Caps, Hinkypunks, Grindylows, Kappa's and Werewolves, is that right?" 

The class hummed in agreement. 

"But you're behind, very behind, on dealing with curses," Moody told them. "So I'm here to bring you op to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with Dark -"

"What, aren't you staying?" Ron blurted out. Moody's magical eye fixed on Ron and after a few seconds of awkwardly staring, Moody smiled. 

"You'll be Arthur Weasley's son, eh?" Ron nodded when he asked that, relieved that Moody was actually able to smile. "Your father got me out of a very tight corner a few days ago ... yeah, I'm staying just one year. Special favour to Dumbledore ... one year and then back to my quiet retirement," 

He laughed, a little creepy in Faith's opinion, and wanted to continue his lesson when his eyes then fixed on Faith, both his magical one and the normal one. Slowly, the whole class started to look in her direction. Faith fiddled with the hem of her skirt uncomfortably until Professor Moody spoke up.

"You look a lot like Edith Eller, you must be her daughter," He stated, a little quieter than before like he just saw a ghost. Faith nodded carefully, having no idea how he knew her mother. He shook his head like he was getting out of a trance and then smiled again. "She worked with me when I was still an Auror," Faith tried to smile kindly back but she barely could. Something about this man bothered her yet she couldn't put a finger on it. "It must be Edith Diggory now," Moody mumbled almost inaudible. 

"Anyways, let's continue the lesson, shall we?" Moody clapped his hands and started to explain some things about curses so the attention that was on Faith, drifted back to Moody. Except for Harry's. He tried to make eye contact but she only gave him a not-so-convincing smile so he just gave up and got his attention to Moody's imperiused spider. 

#

As soon as the lesson ended, Faith ran out of the classroom, not bothering to wait for her new friends. She went straight to the Gryffindor common room and climbed up the stairs to the dormitories. When she got there, she fished a small piece of parchment out of her trunk along with a quill and some ink. Then she got back to the common room and sat by one of the tables. Just then, Harry and Ron came from their dormitories. They noticed her immediately and sat down next to her.

"Hey, you never told me your mum knows Moody," Ron said as he opened his Divination book and stole a quill from Faith's bag. Faith looked up and shrugged.