Chapter one-hundred-forty-four

Faith's hand was tightly gripped around the Invisibility Cloak as darkness overtook them. Her feet hit the stone path of Hogsmeade High Street and Faith instantly faded herself into the pitch-black darkness of a shadow so she would be able to sneak around as unnoticeable as possible. 

Her heart ached to see light coming from the Three Broomsticks, knowing Alex, her friend, was in there somewhere, maybe cleaning up the shop. But it wasn't safe to visit, no matter how much she missed her friend. 

The silence in the air was disturbed by a sudden high-pitched scream and for a moment, Faith thought it had been the voice of Voldemort but she found herself still alive after a couple of moments, she figured it wasn't actually him. Faith did know, that their Apparition caused the sound of the alarm since the door to the Three Broomsticks burst open and about a dozen hooded Death Eaters hurried into the streets, all with their wands drawn.

Faith raised her wand, hiding the gemstone in her palm, ready to strike if she had to. There were too much to Stun and it would give away their position so Faith held back.

One of the Death Eaters waved their wand around and the high-pitched screaming stopped, only echoing in the dark mountains. 

"Accio Cloak!" Another one of the Death Eaters said.

Faith's grip on the Cloak tightened but it didn't even move an inch. The Summoning Charm hadn't worked.

"Not under your wrapper, then, Potter?" The Death Eater called out before turning to his fellow Death Eaters. "Spread out. He's here,"

Six of the Death Eaters moved right into the four friends' direction so they shuffled as quietly as possible into the side street right behind them, feeling the Death Eaters brush by them. 

"Let's just leave!" Faith heard Hermione whisper. "Disapparate now!"

"Great idea," Ron said but before Harry could protest - Faith knew he wanted to - a Death Eater called out for him again.

"We know you're here, Potter, and there's no getting away! We'll find you!"

"They were ready for us," Harry said. "They set up that spell to tell them we'd come. I reckon they've done something to keep us here, trap us -"

"What about Dementors?" The voice of another Death Eater sounded. "Let 'em have free rein, they'd find him quick enough!"

"The Dark Lord wants Potter dead by no hand but his -"

"- an' Dementors won't kill him! The Dark Lord wants Potter's life, not his soul. He'll be easier to kill if he's been kissed first!"

Some noises of agreement sounded. 

"Of course, he's easier to kill when he's been kissed, I could've killed him about a thousand times already," Faith sighed frustrated. 

They weren't going to be able to produce Patronuses, it would give away their position instantly. And they probably knew Harry's Patronus, maybe Faith's too from when she produced one when they infiltrated the Ministry. 

"Let's try Disapparating, there's no way I'm just going to let some Dementor lassie kiss you," Faith whispered towards where she knew Harry was under the Cloak. 

Faith felt a hand over the one that she had on the Invisibility Cloak and despite the fabric between them, she knew it was Harry. They all turned on the spot to Disapparate but the air they had to move through was solid. The enchantments the Death Eaters cast to keep them there definitely worked and they realised that just as an icy-cold feeling spread over their bodies. 

Faith turned around and saw ten or more Dementors, only visible because they were darker than the surroundings, gliding towards them from the end of the street. They could most definitely sense their fear even though they were concealed by the Cloak, well, except Faith.