Chapter forty-four

The Sunday after the Hog's Head meeting felt normal for once in four months. Nothing special or intense happened, no one was after them to kill, no one was stuck in detention. But not just that, it felt even normal for Faith. Faith, Ron and Harry caught up on their homework, which wasn't particularly fun, but since the sun was shining outside, they sat under a tree beside the lake. Hermione, who had already finished her homework was knitting more elf clothes as she corrected their homework as they were making it.

They joked around and laughed with each other, something they all missed ever since Cedric died and everything went wrong. Faith was constantly sad and stressed, everyone thought Harry was a nutter for saying Voldemort came back, Ron and Hermione were suffering because they saw the state their friends were in. But now, it seemed like all those worries just washed away. They had lots of fun and actually finished their homework for once. Ron was a little less ecstatic when Faith told them about the many times she sat under that tree with Alex.

Even Monday morning, Faith was still with her head in a pink cloud of happiness because of her dear friends. That vanished, however, like snow in the sun when she read the big sign that had been hung up on the Gryffindor noticeboard. A crowd of second-years was standing around it because it drew a lot of attention. It covered the Quidditch team training timetable and the Weasleys' latest advertisement for testers. It had to be more important than any of that.

Faith moved over to the second-years, who gave her an odd look she was used to by now, and read the sign carefully, darkening as she read on.

 BY ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS

All student organisations, societies, teams, groups and clubs are henceforth disbanded.

An organisation, society, team, group or club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students.

Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge).

No student organisation, society, team, group or club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor

Any student found to have formed, or to belong to, an organisation, society, team, group or club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-four.

Signed: Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor

Faith felt her blood boil but she was also scared. Did Umbridge find out about their new Defence Against the Dark Arts club? Was she there? Or did someone from the group tell on them? Maybe this was one big coincidence but Faith was pretty sure it couldn't be.

Faith heard Harry and Ron talk behind her, they just came down the stairs from the boys' dormitories. 

"Harry, Ron, look at this!" Faith called them. They heard the distress in her voice so they hurried over and read the new Educational Decree. 

"Does this mean they're going to shut down the Gobstones Club?" One of the second-years asked their friend.

"I reckon you'll be OK with Gobstones," Rom said grimly, the second-year jumped surprised. "I don't think we're going to be as lucky, though, do you?" Ron asked Harry and Faith.

"This isn't a coincidence," Faith said when both of the boys read through it again. 

"She knows," Harry agreed.