Chapter 65: Cashmere

I sat bolt right up, my eyes wide with terror. I was covered in sweat and I was breathing hard. I met Aqua when I was little? I suddenly remembered our trip to North Carolina when I was...five years old? It could've be possible. But it was...

        I didn't get a chance to think about it any further, because just then Dr. Shep walked in. He smiled at me and stood in front of the closed door.
        "Bad dream?" he asked. I gasped. "How-"
He put up his hand to silence me. Had he sent me that dream somehow? If so, was it even real?
        "She's remembered you this whole time." he said calmly.
        "No, she would've told me..." my voice trailed off. "What little you know, Cashmere." he stated. "You told her a secret that day, a secret no one could know. And it came back to haunt you." I closed my eyes and saw the raging fire.
        "What are you talking about?" my voice shook. "Oh you know exactly what I'm talking about. Something about a...death?" Dr. Shep was reopening healed wounds. I covered my ears.
        "Shut up, I don't know what you're saying." My breaths came in short. "She's going to tell your mother. You'll get the punishment you deserve." Dr. Shep leans against the wall.
        "As if this isn't bad enough?" I snapped.
        "A life for a life, right?" Dr. Shep smiled. I cried out. "Get out!" I screamed. "Get out! How dare you!" I sobbed, covering my face. So he did, he left me alone to fight with myself.

        I was four, I would've never remembered if it wasn't so tragic. I was so young, hair slightly red from my father's side of the family. We were visiting my Aunt's house for the Forth of July. We were having a barbecue and I was playing with my cousins, fighting over teams for volleyball. They were much older then I was, but I remembered being mad because no one wanted me on their team. I was yelling at them, having a typical girl tantrum. That's when the house caught on fire. It killed my Aunt. Everyone said it was because someone left the gas on while my Aunt was cookie for the picnic. But I knew it was because of me, because something had shifted when I had gotten angry. I felt in control of light and fire, so I used it. And my engraving was glowing. Nobody noticed and I've kept it to myself or all these years, until I met Aqua. She was just so open, I was never going to see her again, so I told her. I told her that I could control the light.

        How could she remember that? I didn't even remember our encounter. I was shaking so bad, I felt like barfing. I curled up in a ball, trying to control my breathing. Aqua was my friend, she would never use that against me. Dr. Shep must be lying. How did he even get that information anyway? From my mind? Is that even possible?

        The door opened and I sat up slowly, shoving my hair from my face so I could see. A man, not Dr. Shep, thankfully. He walked over to the table and pulled something out of his back pocket. It was a piece of paper. He looked down at the numbers. I peered over at caught a glance of the writing.
C17B8.
What did that mean? A code? A room number? I didn't know but the man looked out at the hallway.
        "Who are you?" I asked. He didn't say anything. He wore a black mask to hid himself from me. He grabbed my hand and took out a key. He slid it into the slot in my cuffs. The cuffs broke apart and fell the the ground revealing red irritated skin under. I looked up at him.
        "Why are you doing this?" I asked. He didn't answer, he just looked around, his hand resting at the hit of his gun. I gulped.
Then he spoke, his voice muffled from the mask. "Follow me. Someone wants to see you."