Chapter 21: Cashmere

Soul stitched...just popped out of my mouth. Not sure what it means, maybe a figure of speech. Anyway. So I had met Aqua. I had taken a pane from New Mexico to an airport in North Carolina and had taken a subway from there to Cafe Ola.

I had no idea why  had actually gone to North Carolina. I just felt like this virus, was important. Plus, I had nothing better to do. I mean, I had run away and all, so yeah. The doctor had bought me ice cream and we had eaten it outside of the shop of a bench, as she told me everything she knew about the virus. I was actually expecting her to say something like, "Sorry, it's confidential." But she had just opened up and explained everything, like the whole world could know. She had said (as you already know) that for now, they were calling it "stitches" or "stitched". They had only had one case of it other then the man in North Carolina (a.k.a Aqua's dad), so they didn't know much about it. When I had said the word would, I immediately knew that the virus was no ordinary virus. It was like poison, eating away at their soul, as the people tried to hold on. They tried to stay sane and keep their life, but the virus devoured them, their soul, their spirit, their existence.

Viruses. They make you sick. Some make you sneeze. Some may even make you throw up. But viruses physically hurt you. This virus? This virus spiritually hurts you. The doctor wasn't telling me any of this. Not one word. How I knew this? I have no idea. I just, well, knew. And the reason they called it Stitches...the markings I had seen spreading up the man's neck. They had looked like stitches.

"What does this mean?" Aqua asked. Woah, I had zoned out. Had she been talking that whole time? Whoops.

She stared at me, then said, "You know, the markings on our hands?" "Oh right! Yea, of course! Uh, I have no clue." I said. She giggled, then frowned. "What?" I asked. Had I said something wrong? She didn't answer. We sat in silence for a couple of minutes, until I realized she was crying. No, duh! Her dad had just died! Why was I so stupid?

"Look, I"m sorry..." My voice trailed off. "No, the last thing I want is sympathy. It's just, well, I haven't cried for a couple hours. That's a big step for me. My grandma said...oh no! My grandma! She'll be home any minute! I have to go!" She said desperately. "But Aqua-" "I'm sorry! I have to leave!" She said standing up. "But there's still so much to talk about!" I said. "E-mail me!" She shouted, walking out the door. Great. Just great. I had come all the way to North Carolina to talk to a girl, and now what? I had to e-mail her.

I ran out the door, but the sidewalk was littered with people. There was no way I would possibly...there! I ran through the crowd, shoving my way past until I reached a red-headed girl walking quickly. "Dear Aqua, what were you thinking? Send" I said, pretending I was typing with my figures. She smirked. "Sorry, I have to be home for when my grandma returns." She explained. "Well, can I at least come with you?" I asked. "What? Are you kidding? I don't even know you!" She exclaimed. "You do now." I pointed out. Aqua rolled her eyes, then said, "Come on, this way."

I sat awkwardly in Aqua's room as she helped her grandma with the groceries. I walked over to her desk and picked up a framed picture of Aqua and a man that must've been her dad. They were standing on a beach and had their feet in the water. Aqua looked to happy...

"Sorry, I'm back now." She said closing the door behind her. I jumped because she had scared me, and I quickly set the frame back on the desk. She frowned and walked over to it. "I didn't mean to..." I didn't finish. What could I say? For Pete's sake, her father had just died! Aqua stood in silence, studying the picture. "Aqua..." "I miss him so much!" She burst out in tears. She hugged me and cried on my shoulder. Once she was able to pull herself together, she took a deep breath and said, "I need the ocean."

Yea, right. I need the ocean. Whatever that meant. She walked down the stairs but told me to stay put. Woof. I could hear mumbling, but couldn't make out any words. After ten minutes, Aqua came back up, holding a wad of cash. "Woah! How did you do that?" I asked. "My grandma, all I had to tell her was that I needed time in the ocean, and she understood. She always understands when I need water. She gave me money and told me to took a two day boat ride. They're really popular here. She thinks I'll be fine on my own if I'm surrounded by water, but I'm not sure what she meant by that. Will you come with me?" She asked. "On the boat? Sure!"

We arrived at port and Aqua bought two tickets. Within one hour, we were on a boat eating burgers, fries, and chocolate shakes. Aqua took a deep breath of the ocean sea air. "You look better. Then before on land." I said. "I feel better too. This is where I belong." She took a sip of her shake. "In the ocean, in the water."