Prologue

• Dedicated to Sloane

This story begins like most do, with a Once Upon a Time. But it is not like other stories. You have now entered the world of four girls who's lives will change forever just because of one box, one man, and each other. So this is the story.

Soul Stitched.

        "I can't believe I'm moving away." Gabby confessed staring at the faded pink carpet.

        "I'm going to miss you so much!" Faith replied sadly. These girls had known each other their whole lives, and now Gabby was moving all the way to Alaska with her family.

        "Come on, quit your pouting. I mean we still have today, right! Lets do something fun!" Jaz exclaimed, rising to her feet.

        "Like what?" Nika asked numbly.

"Oh I know! We can go up to my attic, there's some stuff up there that the new people moving in are going to sell. If you find anything, you can take it home!" Gabby offered.

Nika looked down.

"Is your attic creepy?" She whispered. Gabby shook her head and led them to the stairs.

Jaz flicked the lights on.

        "Shhh, be quiet. My parents are sleeping." Gabby said.

        "You go first." Faith replied pushing Gabby up. Gabby shot her a quire look but went up anyway.

"Wooooah!" The three girls stood in awe of the large attic while Gabby smirked.

        "This is so cool!" There was piles of random things and Jaz pulled a book from one of them. She opened it up. "Who's that?" she asked, pointing to a picture. Gabby went over. "Oh, that's my Uncle." She said with a laugh.

        "What's this?" Nika asked as she picked up a dusty box that stood in the middle of the attic. She blew on it and specks of dirt flew off of it and danced in the air. The box was made of oak decorated with swirls in the old, chipped wood.

        "I don't remember that..." Gabby said, confusion flashing across her face. Nika opened it and gasped.

        "What?" Jaz asked moving closer to her. Nika slammed the box shut, shaking.

        "I-I don't think we should touch it." She stuttered.

        "Touch what!?" Gabby asked grabbing the box from her.

        "No!" But Gabby didn't listen and she opened the box.

Gabby's eyes grew wide. "Awesome!" she exclaimed. What was in the box was four sacred and dangerous items that would change the fate of the world.

One item was a ray of sunshine, another was a wisp of darkness. The third was a delicate snowflake and the last was a droplet of water.

        "How is this possible?" they asked. Nika bit her lip and picked up the light. She played with it.

        "It feels warm!" she exclaimed. Thinking it was safe, Jaz picked up the wisp of darkness, Gabby picked up the snowflake, and Faith grabbed the water.

After playing with it for a few minutes the objects soaked into their skin in unison, almost as if it were timed. Jaz screamed as her skin began to turn gray and she stumbled backwards. Nika's eyes started to glow yellow. As if in a trance, she stood with a horror filled expression on her face, but no sound came out of her mouth. Ice started to crawl its way up Gabby's body. She screamed and tried to run but she soon froze like a statue. Faith coughed up water and the blood in her veins turned to water, too. The girls looked at one another, terrified. Then there was a brilliant flash of light and everything went

        d a r k.