Chapter 28: Aqua

So we had arrived in New Jersey faster then I thought. We were docked in a port near Point Pleasant Beach. Cashmere practically fell down the stairs, didn't quiet have her land legs yet. "So, you wanted to go to PA?" I asked. "Yea, I do." she replied. I was going to miss her like crazy, that I knew for sure. Cashmere looked at me. "How are we going to do this?" she asked. "Train ride? Tax? I don't know!" I replied. "Taxi is cheaper." she nodded. "Yea, I agree. It could take a long time to get there though." I said, hands on my hips. "I know...but my Aunt Joan..." Her voice trailed off. "It's okay. Do you have money?" I asked her. She dug around her pocket. "Aha! Uh...no." she said, throwing a paper clip over her shoulder. "Okay, I might have some money in my bag leftover." I said, sighing. I rummaged through and pulled out a $20 bill. "Maybe this will be enough."

We hauled a taxi. I've always wanted to do that. "Uh...hi?" I said. "Where to?" he asked, his voice deep and gravely. "To PA please." Cashmere said. "PA? That'll be about $35." he said. "35!" Cashmere muttered a curse. We both stared at her. Heat rose to her cheeks. "We only have $20." I said. "Well, I can take you $20 worth, but then I'm going to have to kick ya out." I sighed. "OK." We crawled into the back seat and he started to go. There was an awkward silence. "So, uh- ow long is this going to take?" Cashmere asked. "About 3 hours with this traffic." I wanted to groan and kill somebody. 3 hours of awkward silence. Great. I couldn't take it. So I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

In my dream, I saw two girls in the snow. They were lost, calling for someone. One girl looked goth, with short black hair and the other had two brown braids. "Where could he be?" The goth girl asked. "I wish I knew." The other replied. Then the scene shifted and I heard wolves howling, with a growl rising in the back of it's throat. It stalked closer and closer. Then it lunged at me and went strait for my throat.

My eyes shot open. Sweat soaked through my socks and my heart was beating fast. "Nightmare?" Cashmere asked. I nodded, rubbing my palm. "It's funny though, I rarely have nightmares." I replied. "Really? Lucky you." Suddenly, the car made a wheezing noise and gave out. "What happened?" I asked. "Ran out of gas." he replied. "Of course we did!" I said, frustratingly. "Didn't we just fill up on gas?" I asked.
        "No, that was me getting a doughnut." the man replied to Cashmere's question. "Oh dear." I mumbled. "Look, there might be a gas station up ahead. I'm going to go check." He grabbed a flashlight that lit up the sky. "I'll be back." And he left us alone in the late night. The crickets chirped in the cold and I shivered.

"This is so stupid." I grumbled, rubbing my hands together, trying to warm myself up. "Just a little bit." Cashmere grunted. "I should've never left my grandma." I snapped. "Hey, you're the one who offered me a ride." She said. "Never mind. I'm going to get some air." I said as I stepped out of the dead car. The driver had taken the keys so I hoped Cashmere didn't lock me out like a jerk. I walked around. The night sky looked so beautiful. The stars sprinkled the sky and a shooting star whizzed past. I closed my eyes. "I wish...I wish I was home and Cashmere was safe at her Aunt Joan's." When I opened my eyes I was still here, alone, in the dark. I sighed. "Aqua?" I turned around. "Cashmere?" I looked around but no one was there. "Hello?" Silence. "Well I feel stupid." I mumbled.

"Aqua. Don't move." Cashmere said. Where was she? I finally spotted her. She was slowly walking towards me from the taxi, eyes wide with fear. What's up with her? "Cashmere?" I called over to her. "Yes it's me, don't move." she said. "W-why?" My heart began to thump wildly. I sucked in a sharp breath. What was behind me? "It's a...man...don't turn around. Do not touch him."
        "What do you mean?" My voice cracked. I turned around ignoring Cashmere's orders.

Alright. I have some advise for you. If someone says don't turn around. Don't freaking turn around!

Well. It was a man alright. In fact, it was the taxi driver. Except it was not him anymore. A blood red rash etched it's way up his back, like my father. His eyes shown red and foam dripped from his mouth. "Oh my God." I whispered as I started to back up. The taxi driver started to stumble towards me, tripping over branches and small rocks. This man had the same virus my father hard. Which means, we have it now to. We were with him in the same car for 2 hours. Right now I have bigger problems to think about.

"Run! GO TO THE CAR!" I started pushed Cashmere. The man made his way closer, moving at a fast speed. "Open the car door!" I screamed at Cashmere. She tried the door. "It's bloody locked!" She cried. "What!" I screeched. The taxi driver was 4 yards away and closing in quickly. "The taxi driver has the keys." Cashmere said. "Did you really lock the doors behind you?" I asked her. Cashmere blushed. "Maybe." her voice trailed off. "We're going to die." I whispered. I closed my eyes as he ran closer. This isn't happening.

This it not happening.