Chapter 76: Aqua

It had been one hour since I saw my friend die. I was right there, I could've saved him. But I didn't. Now he's dead. I've lost everyone. My mother, my grandpa, my father, Cryptic...who's next? I curled into a tight ball and put my head down. We were all a wreck except for that girl, Mac. I stifled a sob and bit down on my lip, hard. Tons of emotions swirled around inside of me and I felt like I was being ripped apart.

That was about ten minutes ago. I was then led through the empty airport and to a private jet. We boarded onto the jet and I sat down on the comfy chair. I silently thanked Dr. Shep for being so rich and for Cryptic being his son so we could rest for a few hours. I leaned back and Blake handed me a bag of nuts. I grabbed them and ripped them open, shoving the food into my mouth. I was so hungry. I was fed when I was locked up, but it was only once or twice a week and nothing as yummy as this. I looked out the window next to Cashmere. Mac sat next Crystal and Wilt isolated herself away from the group, her knees pulled up to her chest. I could hear Cashmere and Mac talking, something about a fire? I sat glumly and looked down at my wrecked up body. It didn't even seem like a big deal, not with the world all messed up like it was. We had to save everyone, it wasn't all about us anymore. Cryptic didn't die for nothing, he died saving us. So we can't let his last breath be in vain, we've got to find the generator and shut it down, and fast. Suddenly, the plane lurched and we started to move. I clenched my teeth together, tightly. I closed my eyes as I felt the plane lift off of the ground. I sucked in air quickly and then opened up my eyes. I looked out the window and watched the ground as it got smaller and smaller as we got higher.

        "Aqua." Cashmere poked me awake and I yawned. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. "What." I snapped. Blake threw clothes at us and I caught it.
        "Cryptic or who ever he was left these for you." he said. I gripped the clothes to my chest and shoot up. "Bathroom is over there." he said, pointing. I walked over and closed the bathroom door shut behind me. I ripped the flimsy hospital gown off my body and was tempted to throw it out the plane window. I changed into the pink short sleeved shirt an shorts. I pulled on the Nike sneakers and stood up. I jumped when I saw my reflection. That couldn't have been me. I pressed my hand to my cheek. I gasped and took a step back. The girl in the reflection had stitches all over her arms, legs, neck but not my face. There were microscopic incisions but they left nasty gashes on my skin. There were dark bags under my eyes and my stomach had shrunk to the size of a pea. I noticed how my legs slightly shook with the effort of standing. I reached out for the door nob and walked away from the mirror, from the monster that I now was.

        "So Dr. Shep is dead?" I asked. Wilt nodded ever so slightly. She was finally opening up, actually using her voice. 
        "I killed him." she whispered. A silence settled over us and Blake came back and handed out for peanuts, then went back into the cockpit with the mysterious pilot.
        "Good." Cashmere nodded. "I'm glad he's out of the way." Mac scoffed at her.
        "Oh wait, Dr. Shep was bad, right?" Mac asked. We all nodded quickly.
        "So now we go to Washington and shut down the generator?" Crystal asked. "Then we can go home?" she sounded so hopeful.
        "That's the plan." said Wilt. Her voice was strained, gravely.
        "Home." I whispered. My grandma was probably worried sick. She had sent me on a cruise and then I never came back. Whoops...
Wilt looked down. "Yea, home." mumbled Wilt. I sent a confused look towards Crystal who was shaking her head. Okay then, never mind.
        "We should have a funeral." I suggested. Wilt looked away.
        "I-I can't." she said. Crystal started to protest. "No, I actually can't do it." Wilt stood and stormed off into the bathroom, silent tears streaming down her raw face. Well, that just got awkward.

Many, many hours later we landed. We stepped off the pane and looked around the empty airport. We stood around, looking at one another.
        "So where do we go now, Blake?" I asked, shoving my hands into my pocket. We looked out the large window that showed the world. The streets were deserted, no one was outside. I cleared my throat.
        "Where we are going, where the generator, it's gonna be really dangerous." said Blake. "You see, the closer you get to the generator, the faster the virus infects you. So I can't go with you, but I'm going to be waiting somewhere safe. Don't worry about me, okay?" said Blake. I glanced at Cashmere, nervously.
        "Bring it on." hissed Mac. "So where are we going, Buttercup?" she asked, hands on her hips.
        "Mac, you can't go. You're not immune to the virus like us." said Cashmere. Mac smirked and rolled her eyes.
        "Worry about your own problem, kay? I can handle this." said Mac. I looked over at Blake who had a hardened look plastered on his face.
        "Are you sure, Mac?" I whispered. She glared at me and shoved her hair from her face. "I've never been more sure in my entire life." she said. I took a shaky breath.
        "Okay. So give us a place, Blake." said Wilt. Blake swung his gun over his shoulder.
        "You can't use your powers to get there, you must save your energy for the generator. You'll know exactly where the place is." said Blake.
        "Alright, so where is the generator?" Crystal asked.
        Then with a sly smirk he said, "To the White House, of course.

Huh, wasn't expecting that.