Chapter 60: Aqua

I sat up and groaned. My head was spinning and I felt like barfing. I had multiple stitches running up my arm, reaching my shoulder. Pain came in waves and I clenched my jaw tightly together. All around me were four white walls and a single light above, I wasn't in a cell, but I might as well have been. My hair hung loosely at my shoulders so I pulled it back, it would have to do.

        All I could hear was a slight humming sound that started to annoy me, greatly. I cracked my knuckles loudly and stood up slowly. There was no bed, nor a table. Just four walls that kept me sealed me in.

        "Aqua." The voice was soft and comforting. It could only belong to one person, my mother. I opened my eyes to find myself in my old bedroom. I was wearing pink pajamas and my short hair was sticking up in all directions. I walked to the door. When I went to open it, I found my hand smaller. I examined them, curious. I turned around and walked to the mirror. When I saw my appearance, my heart skipped a few beats. It was me, but I was so much younger-or so it seemed. I almost screamed, but I covered my mouth.
        "Aqua, wake up!" I turned to face my white door and I slowly opened it. I crept down the stairs and spotted my mom and dad sitting in the kitchen, eating breakfast and fighting over the comics. I cried out and covered my eyes. My parents, sitting there like always. It's like watching ghosts.
        "What's up, kiddo?" mom asked as she handed me a bagel with strawberry cream cheese. I smelled a lit candle over by the window and the scent made my stomach churn. Not because of the smell, because of it's familiarity. I woke up to this scent every day. 
        "N-nothing." I finally said, setting my bagel down on the table, hands shaking. My voice was strangely high pitched.
        "You sure, you look pale." my dad placed his hand on my forehead. My body shook by the feel of his touch.
        "Aqua-"
        "I'm fine." To prove my point, I took a large bite of my breakfast. Mom and dad looked at each other and frowned. Mom flipped her dark hair over her shoulder to reveal a face full of freckles, like mine.
        "Do you want to swim, that always makes you feel better?" mom suggested. I glanced over at the newspaper and read the date. May 17, the day my mother drowned.
        "No! No, I don't want to swim." I shook my head. Could I possibly save my mother by not swimming? It might just be a dream, but I can't watch her die again.
        "Alright, then dad and I will swim." mom said, taking her bowl to the sink.
        "How about...we play a game...?" I suggested. Mom froze.
        "Are you sure you're okay? It's like it's not even you in there." dad chuckled. I chewed on my lip.
        "It's not me! Well it is, but I'm older...and today you're going to drown mom. It's May 17, you die today. A-and daddy, you die when I'm 12, you catch this virus and y-you die. Oh, and I have powers, water powers!" I cried out. Mom and dad looked at each other, then proceeded to burst out laughing. My heart sunk when I realized they didn't believe me.
        "It's true." my voice quiets.
        "You have such an imagination." dad patted my head.
        "I'm not kidding! Watch!" I stomped my foot, expecting water to explode all around me, but nothing happened. I looked around. What?
        "Oh Aqua, calm down. We won't go swimming if you want." mom frowned. I sighed, mostly from relief, but why weren't my powers working? I glanced down at my birthmark, it was glowing but nothing was happening.

        I opened my eyes and groaned. I was back to normal, long hair and all. But I was still in that stupid room in Dr. Shep's clutches. Suddenly, I hear voices from behind my walls. I jumped to my feet and placed my ear on the plaster. It was quiet but I could make out the words.
        "She acted differently than I thought." a voice said.
        "Indeed, very boring." a woman replied, almost sadly.
        "Let' twist her memories a bit more tomorrow..." then the voices became to distant to hear. I hadn't realized my hands were shaking until then. So was that a...test? This all to confusing for me.

        When my eyes opened once again, Dr. Shep stood in the doorway. I sat up too quickly and spat a nasty word at him. He sighed in return and rolled his eyes.
        "Just follow m." he hissed. I rose to my feet and followed him out the door. I was tempted to run, but hen the cuffs gave me a slight shock. I then decided to do as told.

        He led me to a room similar to my old one but this one had a table in the center. I chewed on my lip until I tasted blood.
        "Lay down please." he said motioning to the metal table. I gulped but did it. Dr. Shep leaned over me and I closed my eyes.
        "Listen, Aqua. I want you to think about water." he said. "I want you to try to use you powers." he continued.
        "But the cuffs-"
        "Just try. Concentrate really hard." So I did.

Water.
        Ocean.
                Pool.
                        Rain.
Nothing.
Nothing happened. I opened my eyes just to find Dr. Shep smiling.
        "Good. he whispered. I narrowed my eyes at him.
        "My powers, what did you do" I asked. He ignored me, so I ignored him too.