Chapter 75: Crystal

Have you ever wished that you could go back in time and change something you did? Like, if you just stood there like an idiot and watched guards chain up your friend ad then watch your other friend get shot. And then die? But the whole time, you just stood there, watching.

That's what happened to me. I did absolutely nothing.

I was frozen in fear, but I shouldn't have been frozen because I had ice powers for Pete's sake! If anyone, it should have been me that went out to save Wilt and Crypt- I can't even say his name anymore. If I had just shot ice at Dr. Shep, that no good, rotten, ugly, stupid, butt face platypus, I could have saved an innocent life. One that turned but to not be a traitor after all. I was so stupid! How could I have let it all happen? I just sat back and watched as if it were some horrible movie. I could have saved him. I should have saved him. It was all my fault.

I stared at Wilt's sorrowful face. Her eyes were bloodshot. She hadn't spoken since she read the letter. I didn't even know what it said. She looked out the window of the black car as raindrop patted it gently. I put my hand on her shoulder but she didn't react, as if she were in a different world.
        "Wilt..." my voice trailed off. I wanted to comfort her, but I didn't know how. There were no words to explain what had happened and there were no words to make it seem better.

No words to describe my stupidity.

I just stared, as if in slow motion, he crumpled to the ground. I could have saved him. I could have froze the bullet before it hit him. We could've worked it out. We could've given him the cure and saved him. But he was shot and died.

Just. Like. That.

Cashmere squeezed my hand. I looked at her and she gave me a sympathetic look.
        "I know, I want to comfort her too. But I think we need to give her time." whispered Cashmere. I saw Aqua wiping tears away from her eyes.
        "When you see her eyes water, give her a shoulder to cry on. If she asks you for advice, don't give her a speech on her feelings because most people don't truly understand them. Don't tell her it's okay because she knows it's not. Just tell her to follow her heart, because it's got her this far. Just always try to understand how she's feeling instead of telling her you know, how she feels. Things like that are all she needs to know you're there for her." explained Aqua.
        "How-"
        "I know from experience." she said quietly. I didn't even know what to say to that. I looked at Cashmere and she mouthed the word 'parents'. My heart broke for Aqua, she had been through so much, yet she came along to help us. I realized she knew all those things because it was what she wished people had done when she was going through the same situation. I looked back at Wilt and though her face was expressionless, I could see the layers and layers of sadness and pain. I wanted to tell her it would all be fine, but I followed Aqua's advice and kept my mouth shut.

        "Here." said Blake, our driver, as he pulled into a parking lot. I looked around and spotted the airport.
        "Let's go, quick. Before the infected catch up on our smell." he said. I pursed my lips but didn't say a word. I opened the car door and we followed Blake inside the airport quickly. He locked the doors behind him and we walked forward. It was like any other airport, just with nobody else in it. The sounds of our footsteps echoed in the halls.
        "We're going to Washington in one hour, keep yourselves busy for a bit. I'm keeping watch." said Blake. Washington...okay...
        "I thought the generator kept moving." said Mac, she must've been so confused.
        "Not anymore, Peter deleted the software completely from the computer." he said.
        "Peter?" Cashmere beat me to asked. Blake pulled out a small hand gun and walked towards the door.
        "Ah, right. You guys refer to him as...Crypt?" he said.
        "Not helping." I grumbled. Crypts are where some dead people are kept, and well Cryptic was, well, dead. Blake looked confused but didn't say anything. We walked away from Blake and sat in the waiting room.
        "It loos like we have no other choice than to go to Washington." said Aqua, breaking the silence.
        "That's not too far away, I wonder why we're flying." I said. Cashmere nodded.
        "I've heard you five have been traveling the world, eh?" said Mac, crossing her arms across her chest, not sitting down in the soft chairs.
        "You mean...four?" Cashmere said very slowly. I inhaled quickly. There was another silence.
        "Look, okay. I know it's hard to lose people. I should know, I lost my parents, and though I can't say it was easy, I learned a valuable lesson: losing someone you care about it hard, but you can't dwell on it or...or you'll be lost, too. So we all have to take it in instead of trying to push it aside. He's gone, Cryptic-" Mac's voice faltered.
        I glanced over at Wilt who was a few yards away, leaning against the wall. I saw a tear slip past her eyes. I slowly walked over to her.
        "Hey." I said. "I just want to say, I have no idea what you're going through. I mean, sure, I miss him, a lot, but not nearly as much as you." I said. She didn't respond at first. Then she looked me in the eyes, buried her face in my shoulder and sobbed.