Chapter 34: Wilt

My heart was in my throat. My stomach seemed to lift as the plane took a nose dive towards some unknown state. Without meaning to, I grabbed Cryptic's hand. It was...small? Then I realized I had grabbed Crystal's hand not Cryptic's. I pulled away, blushing. "Sorry." I muttered. She gave me a strange look.

But then I focused on the real problem. The pilot. "What they heck?" Someone to my left screamed. The pilot's eyes were glazed over and glowing red. His mouth foamed and he looked around as if in a daze. "We're going to die!" Crystal said, looking just as terrified as me, but I covered up my emotions. I clenched my mouth, refusing to accept that we're going to die. "I've been in worse conditions." I muttered.

I surveyed the scene. 12 or more people on a plane, with a crazed man, and the plane hurtling towards the ground. Okay. This just got a whole lot harder. I pushed a flight attendant towards the cockpit. "Try to get this plane up!" I said. The man tried to object but then shut his mouth an ran off. Now to take care of the pilot. Only God knew what was wrong with him, maybe he had a rough day? I saw him lunge at a girl who was up on a seat, cornered. I clenched my first and punched him. He turned around eyes not able to focus on me, but he stumbled my way.

Suddenly the plane jerked up. The flight attendant did it! I heard Crystal say that she was going to help him stable the plane. The jerk made the pilot fall, but he got up. I didn't understand why no one was helping me. I took a chance and turned around. I gasped. They were locking the people in the cockpit so they wouldn't get hurt, leaving me alone. Suddenly I felt a hand reaching for my arm but I sidestepped and kicked the pilot to the ground. And him again and again until he stopped moving. Then a horrible thought occurred to me. Did I kill him? "I-it's okay." I called over. No one came out. "Hello? You can come out now." I said banging on the door. "No! That man had the virus, and you touched him! Now you have the virus!" Someone said. All the breath was knocked from my chest. "What?" I whispered. I looked through the small window. "They call it Stitches. You get a red rash and your body tries to fight it, but it doesn't work. You'll be dead in a few hours." The person said again.

"Are you kidding?" I asked. "If you're kidding I'm going to kill you." I hissed. "No, many cases has spread across the world. There's no cure. I'm sorry miss. But thanks for saving our lives-"
"You really couldn't have told me that before?" I snapped, anger building up inside of me. "I'm sorry." This time it was Cryptic who spoke. "I don't want to be like him, trying to kill people. I'd rather be killed any other way." My voice cracked. "I'm so sorry." Crystal said, sadness creeping into her voice. I sat down and leaned against the door. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I let the tears fall down my face. I was going to die. "Cryptic?" I finally said. I heard a shuffle on the other side of the door. "Yea?" He asked. "I-I...." I cut myself off. "Never mind." I put my head down and waited.

After a few hours, we landed in PA on the airport in Allentown. Police and doctors were already waiting there for me. I sighed as six doctors came at in with full body protection and locked me in a dark cell in the back of a van. Then everything went black.

When I opened my eyes, I was in a hospital room with a doctor hovering over me. "I'm not dead?" I mumbled as I sat up. He smiled. "No, you're not." he laughed. "I'm Dr.Shep, and I have good news for you." he said. "Oh yea? What's that." I grunted. "You know the virus, Stitches, well...you and one other girl, Aqua Mist, you're immune to the virus. I don't know why, it doesn't make much sense but you are." My heart did a little dance. I'm not going to die. "You should consider yourself very lucky." he said. I paused. "Can I meet Aqua?" I asked. "Yes, it just so happens that you're in the same hospital." He smiled. "Right this way."