Chapter 1: Cashmere

60 years later...

        "Stop it! Give it back!" I yelled as the rest of the class laughed at me. Bri, the evilest most cruel girl in the class, had stolen my favorite necklace. I wore that necklace all the time, even in the shower and when I slept. On the chain, was a prism. It reflected the light and created rainbows that would dance on the walls. It was one of my favorite things I owned.

        "Oh, did I hurt your feelings?" Bri mocked dangling it in front of me.

        "Give it to me!" I shouted.

"Make me." She said crossing her arms. I paused.

        "I said make me!" She yelled. I had to resist punching her in the face.

        "Bri, I don't want to get in a fight. Just give it back." I demanded holding out my hand.

"Make me!" She repeated obviously enjoying this.

        Anger swelled inside of me, and I screamed and covered my ears. Silence. I slowly lifted my head. The necklace was in my hand just as I wanted it to be. I glanced over and saw Bri lying next to the wall. She sat up groggily. "What did you do?" She asked putting a hand to her head. When she brought it back, blood was dripping down her hand.

        I gasped and backed away, terrified. No one was laughing now. I looked down at the necklace. I looked at my other hand and saw the sun engraving on my palm. I immediately put my hand in a fist and threw the necklace across the room. It's all the necklace's fault. I knew it was silly to think, but at the moment I was out if it.

        I ran to the door just as the teacher was walking in. I froze. "Woah there, Miss Ray. Just where do you think you're going?" she asked walking around me. "Uh..." yea, where was I going? "Mrs. Lee!" Bri called over. Mrs. Lee gasped. "What happened?" she asked, examining her head. "It was Cashmere." she replied firmly.

No. No, no no no!

        I ran down the hallway, hot tears streaming down my face. What happened couldn't have been me! I was screaming! When I pushed through the door, I stood looking around, blindly. I decided to run to the right. After a bit, I ducked under a bush, next to the forest and waited there.

I cried silently wishing I could go back in time and change it.

        After about two hours, I decided it was safe. I stood up from behind the bush and I placed my hand below my neck, but then remembered the necklace was gone. I groaned, there was no way I was going back to the school to get it. Just as a joke I concentrated and tried to think about it. When I opened my eyes, there it was. I had to stifle a scream. What the heck!

        I shook my head and put it around my neck. I was really starting to freak out. I just had to get out of here. I stepped out from the bushes and into the sunlight. I loved the light, and hated darkness. I mean I wasn't afraid of it, I just didn't like it. I had lights hanging from the ceiling in my room, and prisms dangling from the window, so when I would wake up, there would be rainbows everywhere.

        Suddenly I heard someone call my name. I jumped by how close it was. I couldn't let them find me! It was possible I could be arrested for cracking someone's head open. I knew I hadn't done it on purpose, but no one would believe me. I knew what I had to do. Run away, that's it. I wish I could've left a note but there was no time. Sorry mom and dad, they're probably better off without me anyway.

        I turned around and ran into the forest. My breathing became heavy as I ran. I didn't bring anything, just the lunch money in my pocket and a random paper clip. I sighed and kept running, but then I heard sirens blaring in the distance. I began to cry. I missed my parents already! Somehow I knew I'd never see this place again. I'd never see Bri, Mrs. Lee, or this town. But hey, at least I got the sun.