Chapter 4: Aqua

I hate that feeling of sand stuck in between your toes. Unfortunately, I live in North Carolina, in a beach house. But I love the water. The feeling of salt water rushing all around you, tangling your hair all about, and when you're on a surf board, the adrenaline rush when you catch a wave, best feeling ever! My mom called me a water baby, said I was a walking mermaid. That was until she died. I don't like to talk about it. Sorry, getting a little emotional here. Anyway you didn't get this book to see me cry. So here's my story:

        I was walkin' down to the beach, ice tea in my hand, new bathing suit on when this little kid came and knocked right into me.

        "Oh sorry, miss." he said, the boy must've been at least six.

        "It's alright. Where are your parents?" I asked him.

        "At home." he said shrugging. I was taken aback.

"You're alone?" I almost gasped. He nodded. "Yea, they do it all the time." he said picking at a string on his swimming trunks.

        "What's your name?" I asked. "Jake, what's yours?" He replied. "Aqua. Now, let's get you home." Jake led me to a beach resort a bit away and knocked on the room number 15. A teenager opened the door.

        "Hi Mommy!" Jake stepped back into the room spraying sand everywhere.

        "Um...hi, I'm Aqua. I found your, er, son...about a mile away from here." I said awkwardly. I glanced at the birthmark I was born with, a drop of water engraved on my palm.

        "Oh thanks." she said closing the door. "He could've drowned, o-or gotten kidnapped!" I snapped.

        "Oh?" She opened the door a little wider. "Are you telling me how to raise my son?" she asked raising her eyebrows.

        "No...I'm just...upset. My mom drowned a few years back and I don't want it happening to anyone else." I mumbled not looking at her. She shoved her messy hair out of her eyes.

        "Thanks for caring." she said, slamming the door in my face. My jaw dropped in horror and frustration. I turned on my heel and made my way home.

        When my beach house came into view, I sprinted to the salty water. I dove in after I set my iced tea down on the sand and let the ocean take me out far. I body surfed for a while and then allowed the waves to toss me to the shore. I sat up and shoved my wavy red hair out of my face and spat salt out of my mouth. I ran over to my dad who was on the porch swing and tried to make conversation. But he was on the phone. He held up a finger for me to be quiet. I groaned and stormed inside. Every since mom died, my dad had invested ALL of his time to his stupid work. He had no time for me and didn't bother to make any. I was alone most of the time and I didn't like it. I missed the way my dad and I would joke around all the time.

        I turned on the shower and tossed my sandy bathing suit to the corner of the bathroom and walked under the warm spray of water. I rinsed the sand from my hair and watched it slide down the drain. I finished cleaning myself and stepped out and dried off. I wrapped a towel around my body. I glanced out at the ocean, longingly. I belonged out there in the ocean, away from people. And with that thought, my droplet of water birthmark began to glow.