Chapter 98: Wilt

I woke up murmuring his name. As my eyes adjusted to my surroundings, I was dimly ware of voices around me, barely whispers. My whole body screamed in a searing intense pain. As if someone lit me on fire.

"She's awake, sir." some one said near me.

"It's a good thing you got her here when you did, Dr. Anne. Luckily we were able to save her." My eyes flew open and a bright light flooded my vision. I gasped and gripped the sides of the bed. I saw a white ceiling staring me in the face.

"Drug her! She can't know where she is!" A mask was placed over my face and a gas filled my nostrils. I started to panic, thrashing around but I was slipping away. Soon, my eyes fluttered shut. The darkness consumed me once more.

The stars, I saw them in my drugged dream. They twinkled so brightly. When my eyes opened, a blue sky replaced the night. I could feel cracked, sharp shards of pavement all around me, crumbling by my touch. I sat up and felt no more pain. I looked over and saw smoke and fires. When I stood shakily, I saw the hospital from which I jumped from looming above me. How was I not dead? I brushed dust from my hospital gown and walked towards the hospital doors. I placed my hand on the glass and pushed. The smell of death filled my nose and I choked. So overwhelming. I could see that the waiting room was jam packed, full of injured men, women and children. I had to find Crystal, Cashmere, Aqua and Mac. I stumbled away from the waiting room and into a different hallway. Nurses and doctors were so tired and overwhelmed that they didn't even see me. I scratched my head and looked around.

                "Excuse me, do you know which room Cry-"the nurse walked right past me, didn't even acknowledge me. I frowned and tried again.

                "I'm looking for a girl named Mac? Have you-"the doctor blew me off. I stomped my foot with frustration. I grabbed a nurse's wrist and held on tightly.

                "Where are Crystal Winterbrooke, Cashmere Ray, Aqua Mist and Mac Shade?" I asked. The nurse didn't even look fazed.

                "Room 204, Floor 2." She replied as if in a daze. I let her go and ran to the elevator. Maybe they knew that the heck happened to me. I bressed the button and slowly rose higher and higher. Then, with a DING the doors opened and I stepped out.

That's when I saw them.

My first thought was: how could I be so selfish? Their eyes were bloodshot, cheeks wet and runny noses. I stood in the hallway, observing Crystal, Cashmere and Aqua. Where was Mac? Crystal looked up, all the blood drained from her face as if I were a ghost.

                "Wilt." She whispered. I opened my mouth to say something-anything but no words came. Crystal jumped to her feet and walked over calmly. She stood in front of me so we were face to face. Then, she drew her hand back and slapped me across the face. My head jerked to the side and I inhaled quickly, sharply.

                "How could you have done that to us?" Crystal hissed. I looked down, ashamed. "Why the heck w-would you do that...how...how..." she covered her mouth and she closed her eyes, tears streaming down her cheeks. "We have l-lost everything." She hiccupped. "God, you're so blind." Crystal backed away from me.

                "Don't talk to me about losing everything." I said, harshly. "At least you have family, someone who loves you." Aqua bit her lip. "I only have Mac." Their heads shot up. Cashmere covered her mouth, a whimper coming from her mouth. I narrowed my eyes.