Chapter 97: Cashmere

We cried our hearts out. The four of us had been through so much together. I couldn't imagine losing one of them. And yet, there we were. Only three left. We had saved each other's lives countless times and worked together as if we had been a team our whole lives.

But Wilt was gone.

We could only hope she wasn't dead. If she was, I didn't know what we would do.

                "I-I don't understand." Crystal whispered. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying and her whole body was shaking. Out of the three of us, she was taking it the worst. Her and Wilt had been very close. Best friends even. "How could she just be...gone?" I shook my head.

                "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry." I whispered. I gripped her cold hand tighter. For the first time I realized this was how cold she really was, not just because of her powers.

                "Excuse me, but the doctor is ordering you back to your beds. You need to rest and recuperate." A nurse said, helping me back into my bed. I glanced at them longingly as two doctors escorted them away. I wanted to call them back but I knew better. They didn't look very stable and they needed...needed time to grieve alone.

When I woke up, I felt better, refreshed. But I noticed a man sitting in a chair beside my bed. I started and put a hand over my heart, trying to calm myself.

                "Who are you?" I demanded. He took off his sun glasses revealing two cold dark brown eyes.

                "I'm from the FBI." He replied calmly. His voice was deep and smooth.

                "W-what do you want?" I said, voice shaking.

                "Only the answers, Cashmere. And then we'll let you be, alright?" he bent over and handed me a lollypop. I scowled at him but snatched away the candy, placing the sugar on my tongue. "Can you tell us what was happening a month before the explosions and all. Just everything." He said, pulling out a pad of paper and a pen.

                "Why?" I asked skeptically.

                "Well, the months before this, we have several security cameras that picked up you and your friends breaking in places and causing quite a havoc. Also, some other unexplainable footage was revealed as well. We just want you to try to clear some things up for us." He said.

                "Are you going to arrest us?" I asked. The man shook his head.

                "At this point, I'm not even sure that there is a jail left. All over the world, where virus outbreaks occurred, they all blew up killing millions. We just want to make sure you and other people are safe too." Safe from what? Our powers? Well, I figured it didn't matter much at this point.

                "Okay, j-just don't spread this to the papers or anything. I ran away from home a couple months ago..." and I spilled. I spilled everything. Meeting Aqua, going to the hospital, meeting Wilt and Crystal and Cryptic. I told him about Dr. Shep and the generator and being kidnapped and going all over the world to try to stop this virus with our powers that came from our grandmothers. When I was done, I felt...free. I threw the lollypop stick in the trash and watched his expression change. It went from one of cockiness to one of sympathy.

                "Alright. Thank you." He said, standing. I could tell he was searching for words to say. "Is this...Dr. Shep dead?" he asked. I nodded.