Chapter 78: Wilt

It felt like 100,000,000 pounds weighing me down. The note. Cryptic's note. It was hidden, tucked away in my black jean pocket where no one could find it. I slipped my hand into my pocket and fingered the smooth paper right before we walk into the White House. A strong smell of rotten flesh hit me and I was very tempted to turn on my heel and run, run and never look back. But instead I masked my emotions ad but on a blank face and push forward.
        "So where is the generator, exactly?" Aqua whispered as we looked around. It was very dark and had an eerie feeling to the place. I pressed my hand against the cream colored walls. My feet slightly sunk into the rich red colored carpet. I could tell the place was gorgeous, but it was so dark that I couldn't make out much. We stumbled through the hallways, trying to make no noise, if possible.
        "We need a map of this place, other wise we'll never find the generator." Crystal said so quietly it was barely audible. I swallowed hard and nodded, pressing my lips together.
        "You'd think they'd have those little note card things with a map on it at the front desk for the tours and stuff." said Mac. We looked up at her.
        "Good idea." said Cashmere. We went back to the room with the desk and we searched for those pamphlets. Finally Mac found one in the drawer. Cashmere lit up her palm so we could see the map. Ghostly shadows were cast across our faces as we peered down at the paper. Mac smoothed it out and we looked closely.
        "Well, I found something out about myself." Aqua finally whispered.
        "What's that?" Mac sighed.
        "I do not know how to read maps." she replied. I suppressed a smile and looked down.
        "Let's just look around, something suspicious has got to turn up, right?" I suggested. Crystal looked over at me and smiled numbly.
        "Yea, nothing on here seems to give off any hints of where a generator may be located." laughed Crystal. Cashmere went first and she held out her hand and her aura was almost like a flashlight for us. I lagged back, trying to keep away from the light. Darkness is my thing, not light. I could see almost perfectly, I could see the paintings on the walls an the mini chandeliers that hung on the light blue walls. My powers seemed to get stronger the farther we walked. Crystal was about 10 feet in front of me, I just wanted to keep to myself for a bit. I needed time to compose myself, my emotions were getting the best of me. I let a small sob escape and then I closed my eyes. Pull yourself together, Wilt. Suddenly, I heard a slight noise from behind me. I froze.
        "Guys." I warned. They stopped walking and turned to look back at me.
        "Yea?" asked Mac I put a finger to my lips and Cashmere brightened up her light so they could see better. All it did was blind me. I blinked quickly and listened again. A quiet rustling sound came from behind me. All the hairs on the back of my neck rose and my heart thumped loudly. I slowly turned on my heel and squinted down the dark hallway. I started to backup as the rustling noise got louder.
        "Go." I whispered, pushing Crystal forward, not turning away from the empty hallway. "Go now." My hands shook bad and I could hear footsteps now. Please let it be a bunny or something, anything but an infected. Suddenly, a woman appeared at the end of the hallway. I stifled a scream and covered my mouth.
        "Time is slipping away." she whispered. She was dressed in a pencil skirt and ruffly white blouse that was splattered with blood. She obviously worked here before the virus came. Her eyes were blood shot and wide, drool dribbled down her chin and a red rash was in splotches all over her skin. Small marks much like stitches were drawn out on her hands and her forehead. She pointed behind us, her hands shaking. 
        "Time is slipping away." she repeated. We turned to see what she was so fixed on. I peered into the darkness and spotted a broken clock. The hands were frozen on 12:00. I looked back at the woman to find she was 7 feet closer to us than before.
        "Woah!" shouted Aqua. I thrust out my hand and the woman crumbled to dust. But then I heard laughter coming from another hallway. My throat closed up and I turned to run down the hallway the woman had been but another infected blocked our way.
        "Well, shoot." Mac whispered under her breath. I looked up at her. Oddly enough, she hadn't turned yet, and when she does, I'm not sure if we can kill her. But unfortunately, the infected may do that for us.

______________________________

Blake Rissue ran through the streets, gas mask over his face. He held his gun to his chest and kept a good eye out for any infected. But those people were the least of his worries. He had to get to the generator before the girls did. Blake stopped at a pot hole and he lifted the lid up. A strong fowl scent filled his nose but he ignored it and jumped down into the sewers. Blake pulled a small flashlight out of his pocket and flicked it on. He walked quickly through the sewers splashing green water up at his face. He finally reached a ladder that led up. He climbed it quickly and opened the latch that held him in. A bright light filled his eyes and he blinked rapidly.
        "Hello, Dr. Rissue." said a woman as she helped him up. Blake threw the plastic gun away from him and pulled off his gas mask. He sucked in fresh air and slammed the hatch door shut with his foot. Another doctor handed Blake his white coat and he slipped it on.
        "Hello, Dr. Anne." he finally replied. "Is it ready for the final phase?" Dr. Rissue asked Dr. Anne. She nodded, a smile on her face.
        "Yes." her curls bounced as she turned around to the large control panel. They were in a small room, sealed off completely. A large window sat in front of them so they could look into the room where the generator sat. No one could be in the same room as the generator, if they were, they'd already be dead. But now they were going to turn the generator's power up so now anyone anywhere near here would die instantly. It would spread faster now.
        "Dr. Anne, turn power up to maximum." Blake said, his voice slightly shaking. Dr. Anne placed her gloved hand on a dial and twisted. A loud ringing sound filled their ears. They all screamed as a bright light flooded into the room.

Let's take a moment to describe the generator.

It looked like a large cube, about the size of a small bedroom. Millions of wires connect from the cube and into a large power source. The wires were glowing a bright blue color and the generator itself was gray. It had small micro chips inside of it, in the center.

The lights flickered and Blake shielded his eyes. This is exactly how Dr. Shep wanted it to be. To get rid of the useless humans and start a race of advanced humans. The generator's power was so strong that all of the doctors in the room fell to the ground, twitching as their life slipped away. Finally, they were all dead, no longer able to hear the loud sound from the generator.

_______________________________

It was so weird. One second we were terrified, running from the infected and then, bang, all of the infected fell to the ground and jerked around, then they went still. We poked them, but they did not move.
        "They're dead." Mac grunted. I looked over at her.
        "You should be, too." I replied. Mac swallowed hard and looked away. "What aren't you telling us." I squinted at her. Mac glared at me.
        "Nothing." she snapped. Cashmere narrowed her eyes at Mac.
        "Macy-"
        "Don't call me that." Mac hissed. Cashmere folded her arms across her chest. We all stared at Mac with wide eyes.
        "Why aren't you dead, Mac?" Crystal whispered. She stomped her foot on the ground.
        "You weren't supposed to find out this way but-" she stopped herself. "Wilt, I'm your sister."