Chapter 41: Cashmere

We all laid in a parking lot. There was a fire in the middle of our circle, and it was keeping my toes warm, but the rest of me was cold, despite the humidity in the air. We had gotten some blankets from a store that we had hid in from the men that were chasing us. No one was using theirs but me.

        I lied awake, not a sliver of sleep in me. I couldn't stop thinking about Dr. Shep. He had seemed so nice, so innocent...just to be discovered as a traitor, an lair. I couldn't help wondering if other people I knew were like him. Nice, trustworthy on the outside. But the complete opposite on the inside. What if one of us is a traitor? I thought to myself. No, they couldn't They're like me, confused but determined. But what about that Cryptic guy? The other side of me thought. He's not one of us, wedon't even know who he is. I wondered. But Wilt and Crystal trusted him, so I thought I should, too.

        I couldn't fall asleep anymore than before. It must've been one or two in the morning, and I got up when I heard Aqua snoring. If I couldn't sleep, and thinking was just making me accuse people of betrayal, then I was just going to take a walk. I turned away from everyone else without a glance, and walked away.

        I kicked at the pebbles that covered the road in a thin layer. Thy scattered and bounced away from my foot. I turned right down an alley and approached a large building. For a moment, I thought I heard the pitter patter of footsteps behind me, but I turned and no one was there. I reached the building and was about to turn the corner when I heard voices. I stopped so suddenly, I almost fell, but I balanced myself and didn't move. I tried to listen, but they were whispering so quietly, it was hard to hear.

        "But you have to!" hissed a female voice.
        "I can't, my role is too important here." said a boy that spoke in a voice I swore I recognized. "You don't have a role! Plus, it's too dangerous! You almost died!" said the girl.
"You're worried about me? I'm worried about you!" the boy cried.
"Oh please. The only one you're worried about is her." the girl snapped.
"Come on! You can not be serious. The only reason I came was for you, not her. I'm not leaving, okay? I just can't." said the boy.
"Why? Because you like her, right?" yelled the girl.
"What! No!"
"You almost kissed her!" she shouted. I was beginning to recognize her voice too.
"What? I did not, I can't believe you would consider for one moment that I-" Suddenly his voice stopped, and I heard the sound of a body falling. What the heck? "Cryptic!" she screamed. Cryptic! No way. I looked around the corner and sure enough, there was Cryptic's limp body on the ground. I ran around the corner and helped Wilt lift him up. She stared at me, bewildered.

        "Cashmere? What are you doing-" her words were ct off by the sound of gunshots that pierced the night silence. We ducked our heads as the bullets whizzed past our heads. I looked up at the roof of the building and saw figures standing, guns aimed at us. "Run!" I screamed. We lifted Cryptic and ran as best we could without dragging him. Wilt followed me as she struggled to hold up Crypic's legs. We ran back through the alley I had come, as gunshots followed us.

        "Hurry!" she yelled. "No kidding!" I called back. We finally reached our campsite, and we placed Cryptic down. I ran over to Aqua and shook her violently. "Aqua! Wake up!" She groaned and rolled over. How is she sleeping through this? "We have to run NOW!!!" I shouted. Her eyes fluttered open. "What the-"

        I grabbed her wrist and yanked her up. Wilt did the same with Crystal, as she asked, "What happened to zombie?"
        "No time! We'll explain later!" she replied.
Me an her went back to Cryptic and lurched him up. Why did he always pass out at the worse times? We were about t leave when I said, "Aqua! The fire!" She nodded and stuck out her hand. Water poured out, turning the fire into a steaming pile of ash. Crystal grabbed our blankets and other supplies, and we ran, the sound of gunshots echoing behind us.