Chapter 14: Wilt

We watched television in silence. I ate more food, trying to bring some life back into me as that weird dog that healed himself laid on my lap. I pet it awkwardly and it licked my face. Gross! I pushed it off of the sofa and wiped the slobber off of my cheek. Crystal giggled and scratched his back. I knew Crystal thought I was a nut, telling stories about my dad and how I might've killed him with that weird smoke, but the truth is weird sometimes. I speak from experience.

"So Wilt, are you home alone a lot?" She asked. I glanced over at her. Crystal is the type of girl at school I would stay away from. She's to sweet, with the baby pink plush on her cheeks and nose, she's to perfect! She seems like the girl who is naturally good at everything. Me on the other hand, I suck at everything. "Yea, you know. My dad's never there and my mom is working ALL the time. So yea, like, I almost never see them together. It's kinda nice." I said. Crystal nodded. "My parents are always home. this is one of the first times me being alone. I'm not sure I like it." She explained. I smiled awkwardly and went back to watching the television. "Do you want more food?" She asked. I looked down at the empty plate. "Ummm...yea." I replied. She smiled and grabbed my plate and filled it up with a cold pasta dish. I ate that pretty quickly. "Lets put your stuff in the guest room." Crystal said. I nodded. "Sure." I replied. I carried my heavy suitcase upstairs and laid it on the hard bed. I noticed the bright pink walls and barbie dolls littering the floor. She blushed. "This was my play room as a kid." She said as she rubbed her hands together, nervously. I nodded. "Oh." Was all I said. I met her eyes and she smiled sheepishly. I turned away. "Um, do you want to, like, watch a movie or something?" She asked. I nodded. "Sure." I said. She stuck popcorn into the microwave and we listened to the popping sound as I put a movie into the DVD player. The Maze Runner turned on and I sat down on the couch. "I never read the book." I said. She looked over at me. "What?" She asked. "The Maze Runner, I never read it." I confessed. She scoffed at me. "What!" She said handing me a bowl of buttery popcorn. I took a handful and shoved it into my mouth. "Just to warn you, the movie is nothing like the book." She said. I nodded. "Better or worse then the Percy Jackson movie compared to the books?" I asked. She paused. "Better, but not by a lot." She said. "I can deal with that." I said.

I ended up loving the movie. Made me want to run, but it's to cold outside so I remained indoors. "I'm going to check on the dogs, wanna come?" Crystal asked as she pulled on her jacket and laced up her boots. I nodded and put on my own jacket. We trudged through the snow and she took me to the shed. I glanced inside and saw a lot of dogs that look exactly alike huddled together. A dog ran up to her and she pet it's head. "Hey Fang." She said kissing it's head. I gave her a weird look. "How'd you know it was." She held up her hand. "Took a long time." She explained. "Oh." I whispered. My nose started to run and I wiped the snot away. Suddenly I was knocked over and a dog was literally licking the life out of me. "Oh my Gosh, get away from me!" I yelled shoving the dog off of me. I sat up and sucked in deep breaths. Crystal cracked up laughing and fed the dogs and gave them clean water. Then she cleaned the sled and untangled the harnesses. "Alright, lets go warm up." She said. I nodded. "Yea, lets." I said, anything to get away from those slobber buckets.

I shook snow from my shoes and only then did I realize how late it was. It was dinner time. She heated up some chicken and we ate that. "So where do you live?" She asked in between bites. I swallowed. "Pennsylvania." I replied. I raised her eyebrows. "That's far away. Why did you run away so far?" She asked. I took another bite. "Because I never want to go home again." I replied. "Oh." Only then did I notice a snowflake engraving on her palm. I grabbed her wrist and she pulled away. "What?" She asked. "You're hand." I stuttered. "So what, it's a snowflake?" She asked. I held out my own hand and showed her the swirl on my own palm.

I guess I should explain this...engraving. It just looks like a tattoo, black, and pretty big. I was born with it, the doctors where pretty confused and I hate it. But you learn to love it. Crystal's was in the shape of a snowflake, the the kind that you'd normally think of. This was so much more detailed as if a snowflake literally landed on her palm. I liked hers a lot better.

"What the heck?" She whispered under her breath. Curiosity rose up inside of me. "What do you think this means?" I asked. "Beats me." She replied. I took another bite of my food, but I wasn't very hungry anymore. "We're not related...right? We're definitely not twins." I said. She shook her head. "Nope." She said. I scratched my head. "The world won't blow up it we touch, right?" I asked. "Only on way to find out." She replied. I held out my palm and we pressed out hands together.

Nothing.

"Well, that was a let down." I said as I shoved more food into my mouth. She rubbed her head. "Er, yeah. Did you, like...see anything?" She asked. I grunted. "No, why?" I asked. She shook her head. "No reason." She said. I guess it was just fate that we have similar engravings on our hands. But a part of me knew that was bull crap. This had to mean something, but what?