Chapter 3: Crystal

Cold wind blew in my face, snow flying through the air. The world blurred around me, and I smiled. I felt more at home than ever.

        "Whoa!" I yelled. The word for stop. The dogs slowed, and stopped in their tracks. I got off my sled and walked over to the panting huskies.

         "Good boy." I patted Flame's head. He was the lead dog, and I have to say, my favorite. Behind him was Fang, Strike, Flash, and Jack. I frowned, remembering Scar. He was at home in the shed, sleeping on warm blankets. I had gotten him just three years ago, but he had already been old. Dad said he was soon ready to leave the cold. I knew what he meant.

        "But he loves the cold!" I cried that night when I found out Scar was ill.

        "Then I'm sure he'll be happy. Where does snow come from?" My dad had asked.

        "The sky..." I replied. "

"Well, there you have it. There's snow in the sky, so I'm sure Scar will be very happy up there." He said. A tear ran down my cheek as I remembered that night.

        "Crystal!" I heard my mom call. I got back on the sled. "Mush!" I said, and the dogs raced home.

        "Where have you been? You've been gone for hours!" My mom yelled. Ah, the daily lecture. I grabbed an apple from the counter and began to walk up the stairs.

        "Crystal, Dad...well he's out in the shed and-" She couldn't finish. I froze. I ran down the stairs and bolted out the door.

         "Scar!" I yelled. I reached the shed and ran inside, fear overcoming my body. My dad was kneeling next to Scar, who was sleeping soundly by a fire.

        "Is he-" "No but close." My legs shook as I knelt down. I ran my hand along his soft, warm fur. Part of his left ear was gone, and he had a long scratch down the side of his face.

        "Oh Scar, don't go!" I whispered sadly. 

        "He has to, honey." My dad said.

"No! It's not fair!" I cried. "Lost of things aren't fair. But we have to work around them and not let the unfair take us away." He explained.

         "But the unfair is taking him away, Dad!" I told him. He sighed.

        "No honey. The unfair would have taken him a long time ago. He held on for you, Crystal. Now you have to let him go." He said. I sighed.

         "Don't let him die, Daddy. Don't let him die." I mumbled, my eyes stinging. I laid down on my dad's lap, and before I knew it, I was asleep.

        When I woke up, it was dark outside. I looked at my watch. 12:32. I looked around and remembered I was in in the shed. All of the dogs wee sleeping around me. Dad must've brought them in. I looked down and saw Scar's head on my lap. He was breathing, but very slowly.

        "Hey buddy." I began. "It's okay, you can let go now. I'm ready." I placed my hand on his back, the touch of his fur soothed me. His eyes opened just a bit.

        "Oh Scar! I love you!" I told him. I could see pain in his eyes.

         "It's okay, I'm here. I want you to go now. Where there's no unfair. Don't worry. You'll love it there." I explained. Scar closed his eyes. His breathing slowed. I felt his body slacken, no longer tense from the endearing pain.

Breath. Silence. Breath. Silence. Breath. Silence.

        I waited petting his head.

Silence.

        I listened intently, waiting for him to take another breath.

More silence.

        "No Scar!" I bent over him, petting him and kissing his head. At that moment, I knew he was gone, and I began to cry.

        Later that awful day, I was out with my dogs, Flame in the lead.

        "Crystal!" I heard my mom scream once again. I groaned. I had barely gotten away from home. "Haw." I said which was the word for turning around. The dogs obeyed, and we headed home.

        "What." I mumbled as I stormed inside.

        "Crystal, aren't you forgetting something?" My mom pointed at my snowy boots. I untied them and placed them by the door.

        "Now what is so important that I had to come inside?" I complained. My mom looked at me sternly, then handed me a mug of hot cocoa.

        "No thanks." I said putting it on the counter. When I let go, my hand hurt. I looked down and saw the snowflake on my palm steaming. I screamed from pain and raced to the sink, pouring cool water over it. My mom looked confused.

        "Is the mug too hot?" she asked. "No. Heat. Heat is too hot." I muttered.

Yes, I hate heat, I'd rather live in an ice castle if I do say so myself.

        "Honey, one of these days you're going to freeze alive...and I'm sorry to hear you hate heat." She said quietly.

        "Uh...what do you mean?" I asked. "That's why I brought you inside. Listen, honey. I have something to tell you. Your dad and I were talking, and...we're going to move to Florida."

        I stopped breathing, I'm almost sure for a full minute. My eyes got real wide like golf balls.

        "Now I know it will be a big change but-"

        "A big change? No, this is a HUGE change! I- we can't live in Florida! It's freaking Florida! F L O R I D A! You know, where it's always like, 1,000 degrees! Why do you hate me so much!" I cried dramatically.

        "We don't hate you! I know you grew up in Alaska, and you're used to riding your sled and not having school, but change happens. It will take some getting used to, but after a couple of weeks, you'll be fine. You can make friends." My mom explained.

        "My dogs are my friends! I hate people! A-and what about the snow! I'll probably never see it again! What about Flame and Scar-" I cut myself off, remembering Scar's death. Tears sprung to my eyes.

        "I can't just leave my dogs, mom." I whispered.

        "I'm sure we can work something out..."

"No! I won't do this! I need the snow and my dogs. All six of my precious dogs. I am not moving!" I screamed like a four year old. I stood and walked to the door.

        "Where are you going?" My mom asked.

        "Home!" I shouted. "You are home." she replied.

        "No. This is my home, not with you in Florida." With that I slammed the door and ran to the shed. I heard my mom screaming my name but I ignored her. I quickly harnessed my dogs to the sled and I was off. I saw my mom running to the shed. My mom ruined my life, can't she just let me stay?         

        "Mush!" I cried. I couldn't help the tears stream down my face. I just need time away to wrap my head around this huge news. All I need is my dogs and the snow.