Chapter 94: Wilt

A loud ringing noise filled up the silence. My eyes slowly fluttered open, but everything was blurred. I couldn't hear the exploding buildings anymore, I only felt the ground shake. My vision cleared and I saw a figure looming over me. I groaned and tried to move, but I was too weak. I felt warm, sticky blood all around me, suffocation, drowning me.

                "Get up." He whispered. A moan slipped out of my mouth when I felt his ice cold touch. I tried to focus on the silhouette in front of me. A building exploded behind the silhouette but he didn't seem to notice. I lied there, motionless. "Get up, Wilt." I felt his hand graze my cheeks as he bent down next to me. His hot breath hit my ear. I can't. I wanted to say.

                "You have to hang on. We can't be together yet, my rose." He looked down at me, deep, dark brown eyes locking on mine. He bent his head down close to mine so our foreheads were pressed together. His lips brushed my nose.

                "Wake up." He said, so softly, so gently, as if speaking to a child. His lips trailed down my face and locked onto mine.

Wake up.

My eyes flew open revealing a white ceiling. Just for a moment, I feared I might've been back in Dr. Shep's lab, but then I felt the blankets around me and heard the beeping of my heart monitor.

"Cryptic." I whispered. I could feel his hands, his gaze, and his lips. But he was not there.

"You're awake!" A nurse beside me exclaimed. I looked around, not knowing there was anyone else there.  Wake up. I don't want to be here.

"Crystal?" I croaked out.

"What?" The nurse asked. My vision had already started to blur.

"Hang in there, girl, I'm getting help." She said.

Too late.

"Because you're different." He called through my feverous dreams. Cryptic, he seemed like he was really there. Suddenly, I was standing beside him, white silk flowed around me, veil over my head. The vision was tinted orange, disoriented. A drugged dream. I smiled up at him and gripped my flowers tighter. Then I was ripped away and placed next to a tombstone. I knelt down and brushed away the cobwebs. It was hard to read in the night, but I made it out: Wilt Shade. I gasped and stumbled backwards, tripping over my feet. I landed on the ground and sunk into the Earth once more.

I jolted awake, grabbing the sides of the bed. Silence settled all around me and I looked around. My heart ached for Cryptic, for his touch, his voice. But he was gone. Dead. I looked down and noticed I was in a hospital gown, soaked with blood. My note, Cryptic's note! It was gone! Though the pain was unbearable, I threw off the covers to reveal multiple tubes sticking from my flesh. The heart monitor's beeping sped up. The only piece of Cryptic I had left was gone. I sat there, alone in the hospital the one night. That was when Cryptic's death actually hit me. I closed my eyes tightly and gasped for air. Sobs rippled through me violently and I dug my nails into my arm. "No." I whispered. "No, no, no, no!" I hit myself hard and clawed at my face as if trying to rip myself apart. It was in that moment I decided I did not want to live anymore. My body shuttered as I cried, pulling the needles out of my skin. My mother, Cryptic, my father, Mac...they were all gone. All of them, everyone I loved. I had nowhere to go, nowhere to run. A loud beeping noise went off when I ripped out my blood pouch and my feet hit the ground. My legs shook and I fell to the floor. My head throbbed and I heard yelling down the hall. I clumsily got to my feet and looked out the window. It was dark, the stars had come out of hiding. I gripped a hospital tray that once held food and I brought it down on the window. It shattered, spraying glass everywhere. My legs quivered as pieces of glass lodged in my feet. I pulled myself up to the window and looked down. My stomach lurched as I saw how high up I was. The streets were deserted, fires burned brightly in the distance. I didn't know where I was, a hospital, maybe, but where? Oh bother, who cares?

Not me.

"Honey, j-just come down." A doctor said behind me.

"I have nothing left." My voice was ragged, scratchy. The pain medication was already wearing off, slowly a pain shot through my thin leg.

"Come on, let's patch you up." The doctor took a step forward. Tears streaked down my face, my heart thumping wildly.

"There are some things you cannot patch." I whispered.

Then, I released my grip on the window. I fell backwards, wind flying past me. I shut my eyes. My final moments were flying away as I tumbled to the ground. Fear binged through me and I could almost imagine I was flying. But I was just a broken girl falling to her death. Death- I once controlled. Now it controls me. I opened my eyes to see the stars. They twinkled like they always did, bringing hope to the lost, love to the lonely. A slight smile spread across my face.

Then I hit the pavement and s h a t t e r e d.