Chapter 62: Wilt

The next day I woke up freezing. I curled into a tight ball and shivered. My teeth chattered and I gulped. I push hair out of my eyes and sniffled.

        "Wilt."
My eyes shot open and I sat up quickly. "Cryptic!" I scrambled over to him. He stuck is arm through the bars and I took his hand. We pressed our foreheads together. Cryptic stared at the ground. With his free hand, he touched my face lightly, eyes flickering up to meet mine. His warm brown eyes darkened. "I'm so sorry." he whispered, a tear escaped and streaked down his face. "Why do you keep apologizing?" I finally asked. Cryptic pulled away and crouched down. He ran his hands through his hair and took a shaky breath. I gripped the bars tightly. "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked. His lower lip trembled as I wiped the tear away. "I-I have to tell you something, I don't want D-dr. Shep telling you." he whimpered. I pulled away. "What?" he coughed and began.

        "I-I have to say it all at once." Cryptic moaned. "My real name is Peter, I'm Dr. Shep's son. I'm really sick a-and I think my father is hurting you four because he's looking for a cure. I'm so sorry, so so so sorry. I never knew he'd hurt you."

Silence.

        I felt betrayed.
"Y-you're working with them?" my voice gave out and I backed away from Cryptic. His face fell and he reached for me. "No...no Wilt it's not like that." he whispered. I tripped and fell backwards. "This was all planned? You knew all along...and didn't tell us?"
        "Please, Wilt-"
        "You never actually loved me, did you?"

Silence.

        "No Wilt...I do...I do...I love you more then the number of stars in the sky. I-"

I was done. I curled up in a ball, I felt Cryptic's cold hand grab my arm and shake me, calling my name. But I didn't want to hear it. It was all an act, all of it. Every word he said was a lie.

        "Wilt, you are the reason I'm dying."
Those seven words sent chills up my spine. I lifted my head slightly.
        "What?" I hissed, tears welling up in my eyes.
"That day in the cave...when Crystal whacked me with the stick and she thought I was a zombie? You poisoned me when you hit me. It's spreading...and I-I'm getting weaker the closer the poison gets to my heart. It's only a matter of time before I'm gone."
I cried out.
        "You're lying." I sobbed. Cryptic shook his head. "If only." he whispered. I turned away and blocked out the world.

        I couldn't sleep. My mind was racing with thoughts of betrayal. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't tell us. He didn't trust us.

        "Wilt?" It was Cryptic. I didn't open my eyes. "Go away." I pleaded. I could hear him sighing. "Please understand." he whispered. I shook my head, opening my eyes. "Oh I understand just fine." I hissed. I honestly never wanted to see him again.