Chapter 90: Wilt

I really, really wanted my powers to work. That thought raced through my mind as the woman tackled me to the floor. I screamed and pushed her off of me. I saw Lily sneaking out of the store, at least she'd live. I scrambled back, crawling, kicking her away from me. I stumbled to my feet and ran away from her. She grabbed my leg and I fell to the ground again, slapping my head against the hard pavement. I cried out as pain burst from my head. My vision blurred but I dragged myself away and slipped behind another isle, away from her. I needed time to think. I looked for any kind of weapon, anything sharp. I didn't think a bag of chips was going to cut it. I huffed out hot air and jumped when I heard the woman's groans on the opposite side of the isle. I ducked and made a mad sprint towards the cash register, behind the counter.

"Come on." I whispered under my breath. The woman finally spotted me and ran over. She lunged over the counter and reached for my neck, fingernails grazing my ski. I side stepped and watched her crash into the wall. I leaped over the counter and ran for the bathroom. I yanked open the door and locked it behind me. I closed y head and sucked in deep breaths. My hear beat was rapid and I leaned against the door. I spotted a toilet plunger. I grabbed it to arm myself. I heard banging on the door.

"Occupied?" I said. The door gave and the woman tumbled into the bathroom. I mustered all the courage I could find and started to whack the woman with the toilet plunger.

"Die!" I screamed. The woman gripped the plunger and broke it in two. I gulped. Well...this got a heck of a lot harder. As I ran away, through the isle, I saw a lose shelf I skidded to a stop. I grabbed it and wiggled he shelf free. I turned around an waited. The woman sprinted towards me and I let her come. The just as she reached for me, I lifted the shelf and then brought it down on her head. Hard. Her body crumbled to the floor like a rag doll. I wasn't sure if she was dead or not, but I wasn't waiting around to find out.

I looked down at the piece of paper with my mom's new address on it. Then I looked up  the apartment door. With shaking hands I knocked on the door. I hard shuffling coming from inside.

"Who's there?" I heard a ruff voice.

"It's me, Wilt." I said. There was silence. Then the door swung open and there stood my mom,  wild hair and eyes, gun in her hand, blood splattered clothes.

"Wilt?" she whispered. I smiled.

"Hi mom." she pulled me inside, wrapping me in a tight hug, then released me.

"Where the heck have you been?" she snapped. "I though you were dead."

"We need to talk." I cut her off. I sat door on a chair and noticed dead flowers in a cracked vase.

"What happened? Tell me everything." my mom demanded. I took a deep breath.

"I always knew was different, mom. I was never like the other girls. But I know why, now." I said.

"What are you-"

"I know about the operation-my powers. All of it, I know all of it." I said. My mom inhaled quickly and closed her eyes.

"I never wanted that, Wilt. But I couldn't make a case of it with the court, grandma threatened me, said she had to do this."

"I'm not the only one. There are 3 other girls like me." I said. "We're trying to stop the virus-this generator which is causing the generator, we're going to shut it down using our powers."

"Why are you telling me this?" she asked, setting her gun down.

"To give you hope, it'll all be over soon." Then I told her everything. Meeting everyone, traveling all over the world, being tortured. But I left of Cryptic. He was mine. My mother just sat there, blank face. "I-I also killed Frank." I whispered. Her eyes flew open. I held my breath.

"What?" she hissed. I swallowed.

"I killed him. He kicked you out of your own home." I said. Anger flashed across her face.

"Get out." she said harshly. I froze.

"What?" I asked. Why isn't she thanking me?

"I said GET OUT!" she yelled. I jumped to my feet, surprised. "Leave, go!" She grabbed her gun but I was already gone. I crumpled to the ground, tears streaking down my face. What did I do wrong? Why was yelling at me to go?

I walked down the apartment stairs and exited the building. All of  sudden, my arm was thrown forward and I face planted. The something started dragging me forward, down the street. It was my right arm, being pulled my the palm. there was a sharp pain but I bit down my cries. Once I was in the middle of the street, it stopped pulling me. But t was too late. I was just starting to get to my feet when I saw the headlights. The car slammed into my body and I was thrown backwards.

My eyes opened, everything was screaming from pain. My hip, my head my legs. I couldn't move, couldn't stand. But then I felt something, darkness. The black shadows surrounded me, heeling my body. It mended my shattered bones and flesh. I sat up and saw my palm glowing. I grinned, my powers were back. Very weak, but back.

"Sorry, didn't see you there." Dr. Shep said as he shut the taxi door shut. I glared at him and shakily stood.

"Long time, no see." I hissed. Dr. Shep shrugged.

"Well, it's time to collect you four. Time to kill you." he said.

"What about the fake cure and all your money that you'll make?" I asked.

"Change of plans, the generator isn't getting shut down, there is no fake cure. Get in the car, your two friends are in there. Cashmere and Aqua." he said, pointing a gun at my head. My powers were still too weak to use so I had no choice but to obey. "Also, you can't let anyone know about any of this. Anyone." he said. Suddenly, a gun fired and a body crashed through my mother's apartment window and hit the ground.

I didn't know I was screaming until I stopped. No, no, no! This must be a terrible dream. Wake up! I ran over to her fallen body.

"Mom?" I whispered as I knelt next to her, knee splashing in a puddle of blood. "Come back." I cried. My lower lip was trembling. Her eyes were open but the color was drained from her face, her chest didn't rise and I found no heartbeat. Her black hair was soaked red from the hole in her head. "No, come back." I sobbed. "Not you, too. Mommy, please." my voice broke. I bent my head and closed my eyes, tight. "Wake up." I whispered.

She never did.