Chapter 99: Crystal

We walked away, hand in hand, completely speechless but overflowing with emotions. Thoughts flooded through my head, flying through my mind. It was one of those moments, when you feel like crying every tear in the world, but not being able to. Because you already have. We stopped walking when we reached a pay phone, we all stopped looking at it sadly.

                "I guess we have to call home." I whispered. Aqua looked down, tears streaking down her face.

                "I don't want to go home." She replied. I smiled.

                "I don't want to go home, either." I said honestly. "But does anyone have any money?" We inserted some coins we found on the ground and Aqua went first, dialing her grandma's number to come and pick her up all the way in Pennsylvania. I sat on the ground, chin resting in my hands and tears threatened to spill. I recalled everything that had happened in those past months. Meeting Wilt, finding Cryptic, meeting Aqua and Cashmere, getting our powers, starting out our quest for the generator, discovering Dr. Shep's real intentions, traveling the world, getting kidnapped, Cryptic dying...destroying the generator and bam. Here we are. How are we supposed to just...move on after that? Try to make a life on this foundation? The world would move one, start to rebuild itself. People would recover, get jobs, and become successful. But not us. We'd be stuck in the past, always being the 13 year old girls we are now, trying to shut down the generator. It would be a sucky life. I jumped with the phone booth door opened and Aqua stepped out.

                "Who's next?" she asked. They voted me to go next because my family lived all the way in Alaska, they'd need the most time to come and collect me. I inserted coins into the slots and rang up their number. It run three times before someone picked up.

                "Hello?" I heard a strain in my mother's voice.

                "Hi mom, it's Crystal." I said. Then I broke down into tears.

                "Oh my God, Crystal. Where are you, what happened, are you safe?" she asked.

                "I'm fine, I'm fine." I repeated. "I'm in Pennsylvania. You have to come get me, please, come get me." I sobbed. My mother reassured me she would come.

                "What happened?" she asked.

                "I know about my powers, mom. I met up with Wilt and she had powers too. So, we took off with a boy...and we met two other girls with powers too and together we destroyed this generator that was creating the virus." I explained everything to my mother. And yes, I mean everything. After the story, I gave the address.

                "We won't need to be flying." My mom said. "We're in Florida." Anger boiled over me.

                "You moved?" I asked. She denied it.

                "No, our whole house...just...moved to Florida!" she said. I pursed my lips.

                "Are you in Orlando?" I asked.

                "Yes? Why?" She asked.

                "That was one of the places the generator would move to. Yes, Orlando, Florida. My powers must've drawn you there. I don't know why...but that's the only explanation I've got. J-just please come as fast as you can." I said.

                "We're on our way. I love you Crystal." She said. I hesitated.

                "Love you too, Mom." Then I hung up. I put the phone on the handle and stepped out into the evening light.

                "Cashmere, you're up." Cashmere's face paled and she shrunk away.

                "Cashmere, call your mother." Aqua snapped. "They will not be mad at you. Just call for heaven's sake." Cashmere practically ran into the phone booth. I sat down next to Wilt who leaned her head on my shoulder.

                "I can't believe it is all ending. All of it. Months of spending my life you suckers, and now we're leaving." She said. I grunted.

                "I know what you mean. We have to stay in touch, see each other every month." Aqua said. We agreed.

                "Of course. That would be impossible after all of this." I laughed. Once Cashmere was done on the phone, Wilt went in and called her grandma. She seemed a bit mad but cooled down. I guess she's forgiven her grandma for injecting a powerful substance into her at age like, 6. Then, by nightfall, all our phone calls were done and all that was left was to wait. We huddled together and took turns sleeping, the others kept watch which was unnecessary. Since all the infected were gone, there was no dangers anymore. But as morning came, cars started to arrive. Pulling up. First, Wilt's grandma arrived, then Cashmere's, then Aqua's then mine. We ran to our mothers, father and grandmother's, wrapping our arms around each other. Tears were shed, anxiety building up in our chests. My mother grabbed my arm and examined the scars along the skin. Tears welled up in her eyes and she pulled me in another hug.

                "I'm so sorry." She sobbed. I sniffled. "It's okay. It's okay." I repeated. Then we turned, facing each other. Before another word was said, we ran into each other's arms.

                "I'm going to miss you." Wilt said, wiping away a tear. "I'm going to miss you so bloody much."

                "I don't want to go." Cashmere said, looking back at her parents who were just thankful to have her back.

                "Keep in touch, okay? Here's my phone number." Then we exchanged numbers and we waited. Not wanting to leave.

                "I love you all...so, so much." I said. When I looked at Wilt, for just a moment I saw her as the girl, lying in the snow, half dead. I blinked the vision away and smiled once more. Then my mom pulled me away.

                "Let's go home." She cooed. I bit my lip.

                "Yea, let's go home." I got in our car, eyes focused on their figures as they started to slowly get smaller as we drove off. I could only hope that I would one day see them again.

Little did I know...