Chapter 82: Wilt

I pulled my hand away, crying out. My hand steamed, slight burn marks appeared on my flesh. I shook it out and held it to my chest. I closed my eyes, Cryptic's words echoing in my mind. He thought I was beautiful.

Someone put a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Mac had stopped the car, she was watching us.
        "You guys where out for a long time." said Mac. I could see the fear on her face. I scowled at her and shoved her hand off me.
        "Don't touch me." I hissed. Mac shut the car down. We were in the middle of nowhere. It was still dark, but I could see hints of color in the sky. It was morning.
        "Look, Wilt. I know we only just met, but we're sisters. We have to try to get along-"
        "You are NOT my sister. I don't even know you! I don't want to know you, so just leave me alone." I opened the car door and slammed it shut behind me. I walked away from the car and covered my face and sobs rippled through me, making my body shuttered. I looked up at the sky.
        "Come back." I whispered. "Please come back." my lip trembled as tears streaked down my face. I heard the car door open and I saw a figure walking towards me. 
        "Wilt?" I heard Mac's voice. She stood in front of me, arms crossed. "Listen to me, okay? I know you're going through a hard time, but I know what you're going through." said Mac. I glared up at her.
        "Oh really? So you're telling me that you've lost your best friend, the only one who could coax a smile out of you. You're telling me you've lost the only one you've ever truly loved?" I shouted. Mac pressed her lips tightly together. "Yea, I am." said Mac. I rolled my eyes.
        "Wilt, my parents got divorced, my sister died and my mother burned alive." said Mac. "So don't you tell me about loss. You're all I have left." I opened my mouth to say something, but I stopped myself.
        "Oh." my voice broke. "I had a sister?" I finally asked. Mac nodded.
        "Her name was Rosie." My lip trembled and I leaned my head on Mac's shoulder and sobbed.

"Are we almost there?" Aqua moaned, her face a bit green. She must be car sick. "Almost." said Mac. Crystal groaned.
        "I'm so stiff." complained Crystal. I crossed my legs and watched as houses whizzed past us.

The next few miles go by and we pull up at the edge of the sidewalk and we pour out of the car, stretching and walking off the stiffness.
        "I'm hungry." said Cashmere. Aqua nodded.
        "We have to eat something and make another bathroom stop." Aqua said. I looked around. I spotted a restaurant called Waffle House. We broke in and found some food and we used the bathroom. After we finished, we walked out and  froze. We looked out at the empty roads and shops. I knew where the hospital is because I lived around here since I was born. We took off towards the hospital, refreshed and ready.

The vision we all had was burned in my mind. I kept replaying it over and over again. Cryptic's grandpa, Dr. Shep and then Cryptic. They were all so young. Then there was my grandma. I recognized her instantly, she still flips her hair the same way. Jazleen, my grandma. She's so much older now. It so weird to think that one day I might look like her. That is, if I live.

Once we reached the hospital, we stopped in our tracks. When was the last time we were here? Just two months? I knew we had spent about one month trapped in Dr. Shep's lab. So yea, I guess it has been two months.
        "Wow." said Cashmere. I could hear loud shouts coming from the hospital. No doubt everyone has been trying to get to the hospital to try to survive this virus. I chewed on my lip and walked forward down the packed parking lot. When we opened the door, the smell of death overwhelmed me. I shuttered and closed my eyes as a scary, vivid memory hit me like a wrecking ball.

I was watching myself as a four year old bounce into a hospital, some what like this one. I held my grandma's hand as my black hair sway by my hips. My grandma was young, her own black hair was pulled back into a bun. I knew this was a memory, but why didn't I remember this? I was old enough to remember.
        "What are we doing?" I whispered in my high pitch voice to my grandma. She looked down at me sadly and squeezed my hand, but didn't answer my question. We walked up to the front desk and my grandma told her name and my name. The nurse told us to sit and wait. I sat down on a stiff chair and swung my legs back and forth.
        "Why are we here?" I asked again.
        "Grandma's sick and you're going to save her." she whispered. Confusion flashed across my young face as I blinked up at her. Before I could say anything, a doctor called my name and I jumped up, following him into a room.  A metal was in the back of the room and sharp tools where on a small tray next to it. I gulped and looked longingly at the door.
        "What's going on?" I asked. The doctor told me to lay down on the table so I did. The male doctor injected something in my arm. The young me winced but then her eyes started to close.
        "I'm so sorry." grandma kissed my forehead. "One day, you will understand." she said. Once I was asleep, my grandma turned to the doctor.
        "Are you sure this will work?" she asked. The doctor frowned.
        "I'm not sure, ma'am. But we have to try, your...condition...it is literally killing you. Your granddaughter, because of her youth, will be able to handle them better than you and for much longer. At best, the condition will die with her." the doctor said. "But I can only hope." he said. My grandma sighed and the doctor picked up another needle. 
        "Are you ready?" he asked her. She nodded and watched the needle plunge into the center of her own black swirl markings on her hand. My grandma screamed as black liquid came out of her and pack into the needle. My grandma closed her eyes and clenched her teeth together very tightly.
        "Almost done." said the doctor, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. Finally, the needle was full of black liquid and the doctor pulled the needle out of her hand. My grandma let out a sigh and held her hand to her chest.
        "So my powers are gone?" she asked the doctor.
        "I'm not sure, there may be some left but nothing that you should be concerned about." said the doctor as he walked over to my still body. The took my right hand and pressed the needle into my flesh. He injected the black liquid into my palm and my eyes shot open. I screamed in my high pitch voice that could shatter glass. My grandma sobbed and covered her ears.
        "Make it stop!" she cried. The doctor didn't, he continued through with what he promised. Suddenly, my own eyes flew open, breathing hard.

What just happened?